staining deck

Old 06-30-08, 06:28 PM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
staining deck

Our deck is about 2 years overdue for cleaning and staining. I haven't yet determined what products I will use, or method. But I am wondering about applying 2 coats of stain. Would that double the protection and keep the nice appearance longer? Previously I have power washed it and used a semi transparent natural tone cedar stain by Olympic. It looks great right out the gate, but about 18 months later it needs a redo.

Old 06-30-08, 06:57 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
2 coats almost always out preforms 1. You need to read the label as some stains have a window in which the 2nd coat must be applied.

As with most coatings you will find the best stains at your local paint store - not a big box paint dept.

Old 07-08-08, 12:08 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My $.02 cents.

I was/am in the same situation. I am in the middle of staining my deck which was new 3-4 years ago (new home owner) and not taken care of for the last two (the last one being my fault). I am using the red can penofin (clear cedar) which requires two coats. I've never stained a deck before, but this stuff couldn't be any easier to apply, but I can't speak for the longevity. What I've read and discussed (been told) at the local paint store is that after the first year you need to wash and re-apply a single layer and after that it should last about 2 years. I like the look of the wood, so the additional expense/time of taking care of a clear stain and not using compsite decking, is not a big issue.

And Marksr - The penofin did apply right over the old/worn Thompsons, so thanks for all your help.

Have Fun

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: