(First House) - Repainting Deck

Old 07-21-08, 06:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
(First House) - Repainting Deck

Well my wife and I bought our first house. It came with a beautiful deck, but its painted and is getting very faded and is starting to peal near the stairs and rails. Under the paint is a (sorry for the description) greyish wood. The deck was just paidfor and built by the previous owner.

I live in new jersey and this is a very hot month so I think repainting the entire thing might be out of the picture, but is it possible to do some touch up paint? (the previous owner was nice enough to leave the paint behind).

- What's the best method of touching up
- What are my options for repainting completely and when?
- Can we change the color?
- Is there any sort of laminate or finish you can do with the painted wood?

- Should I pressure was the deck?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-08, 06:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
I wouldn't pressure wash unless you intend to completely recoat the deck. Touch up can be done with a brush or roller. What brand and type of paint/stain was used?

Hopefully a solid stain was used and not paint. Paint is rarely a good choice for a deck. Semi-transparent stains work well on new decks but as they age, they often look better with a solid stain. You can't apply semi-transparent over solid stain.

When you are ready to completely redo the deck it should be cleaned first........ and you can change colors

Old 07-22-08, 05:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It is strait up ugly ass red paint. I'll have to look in my garage to check which type he has, but it's pealing and you can see the wood under it. Is there anyway to completely strip the deck and stain it? How much would we be talking if I hired a contractor to do this work?

Old 07-22-08, 02:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
It would be difficult to say how much work would be involved without seeing the deck in person. Obviously if it comes of easily it would cost much less than if it takes a lot of work to remove it.

As with any time you consider letting a job out - get 3 or more estimates and check references.