Hiding decking screws on pressure treated deck?

Old 07-29-08, 07:24 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hiding decking screws on pressure treated deck?

I was looking into the various hidden fastener systems and was thinking I should just use a 2x4 ripped in 2. Screw this to the joist then screw up through it into the decking from underneath. Any reason this is a bad idea? Seems like it would provide the same as hidden tracks but far cheaper?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-08, 05:09 AM
L
jimbob,

That would work OK as long as your screws are short enough so that they don't come through the top of the deck boards and long enough to hold the deck boards.

One drawback though is that you are creating joist tops that are effectively 3" wide and they will trap a lot of moisture between the joist tops and the bottom of the deck boards, and it will cause the wood to rot a little bit faster.

Old 08-01-08, 06:31 PM
K
In theory it's a good idea, but in reality it won't work. First and foremost, the entire deck would need to be completely accessible from the underside. Second, fasteners should have a minimum of "bite" on the screw. Usually 1 1/2 times the thickness of whatever you are securing. If you use traditional P.T. decking, it is approximately an inch. You'd be lucky to get 3/4" bite without it protruding through the top side. With that minmal "bite" and all the up and down pressure exerted through foot traffic, it's just a matter of time until the one that do hold let go.

Old 08-04-08, 11:22 AM
J
OK - Ive ruled out a ripped 2x4. So are you saying the hidden fasteners are also a bad idea, or they are Ok since they are minimally thick compared to the decking? I was planning on using them (basically metal corner brackets) and they seem to be meant for 5/4" decking that Im using. Access to the underside of the deck isnt a problem as its 48" up.

My one concern would be how resistant they are long term to the chemicals in pressure treated, but they seem to be made to use with it so I guess they should be OK?

Old 08-05-08, 10:14 AM
G
Check out Deckmaster

Check out the Deckmaster hidden deck brackets. They will not rot. They come with the screws required for the planks you are installing (3/4 to 5/4). Go to www.grabberman.com for more info.

Old 08-20-08, 09:00 PM
J
Originally Posted by Grabberman View Post
Check out the Deckmaster hidden deck brackets. They will not rot. They come with the screws required for the planks you are installing (3/4 to 5/4). Go to www.grabberman.com for more info.
Looks like your product is quite a bit more expensive then the alternatives. You want to give me a discount to be a "tester" for you?