Re-level a cedar deck

Old 08-02-08, 06:50 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Re-level a cedar deck

My cedar deck is not level. I've read posts where the expert asks whether the deck posts are sinking or if the deck was built out of square. I do not believe the posts are sinking. The original deck is a covered 12' x 12'. The out of square part is 12' x 14' and has been added. The ground is extremely hard and rocky. Even rain water does not absorb into the ground. I sincerely believe it was simply built (4 years ago) by an idiot. My home is an atrium ranch that is almost entirely seen from the rear. The NE corner of the deck is about 2" higher than the NW corner. The NW corner is about an inch higher than the SW corner. The south side of the deck is attached to the house. There does not appear to be any portion of the deck that is pulling or tearing away from the house or the original section of deck. Can this be re-leveled? If it can be re-leveled, would I contact a deck builder or a general contractor?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-08, 07:03 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Did you actually put a level on it or did you just measure from the ground? It can be fixed and a deck builder is the one to call. Call a few of them for extimates.

Old 08-03-08, 09:55 AM
R
Thanks for the response. I've put a level on it in about everything possible position. The floor and the railing of the original deck are consistant and are, considering age, very level. On the addition, the floor and railing are consistantly out of level in nearly every direction except where connected to the house. I think the age of the the two sections are the same. The second having been completed as an after thought immediately after the original section was completed. I have also checked level on the kitchen window that views the deck. It is perfectly level. However, looking out the kitchen window to the deck railing almost makes me dizzy. It is so slanted that we put plants to cover the window so we can't see the deck railing.

Old 08-03-08, 04:06 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
LOL @ the plants to block the view. By all means, try to fix it. Depending on how it was built, you can probably put some jacks under it, cut the nails with a sawsall, where the posts meet the headers, trim the posts and lower it.