Using Mortar with Flagstones

Old 08-02-08, 10:44 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Using Mortar with Flagstones

Hello,

We are making a flagstone patio in the backyard. We laid the stones on their gravel base, then filled around the edges with a mix of 1/3 mortar and 2/3 sand. We then wet it down but it doesn't seem to have set. It feels pretty much as if there were just sand between the stones. Is it possible we didn't wet it adequately? Should we try again or is mortar dead once it has been wet once?

Thank you!

Old 08-02-08, 07:36 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I did a repair of a walk way similar to that and we laid the stones in a wet mix, not a dry mix.

Pick up the stones and make a wet mix out of whatever you can shovel into a tub or a mixer. Add whatever sand, cement and water are needed. Lay down the mix and set the stones.

Edit: I just thought of something. You only need sand with Portland, not with Mortar. That could have been your problem. Use Portland.

Old 08-02-08, 08:36 PM
it sounds like you have to much sand in the mix which will give you a very weak mix. the proper ratio is aproximatly 1 part portland to 3 parts sand.

murphy was an optimist

Old 08-03-08, 06:54 AM
T
Cement and sand mortars have to be mixed with water then placed. Mixing them dry, placing them then wetting will not create mortar, only stabilized sand.

Old 08-05-08, 07:13 PM
M
Thank You

We would like it to drain, so I don't want to use a wet mix. But I'll try using Portland cement instead of mortar.

Old 08-05-08, 07:53 PM
M
Actually, I was ASSUMING it would drain, but is that true if we put Portland cement and sand between the stones and then wet it down?

Old 08-06-08, 05:36 AM
T
No, it will not drain. If that is what you want, you need to use stone dust. Around here we use decomposed granite.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: