Extending 6x6 posts to support porch roof

Old 08-16-08, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Extending 6x6 posts to support porch roof

Hey all, here's my first post. I am building a sleeping porch off our 2nd story bedroom. It runs 16 ft out from the house, off the side, and runs 14 ft front to back. This is a simple ranch style house with a roof that slopes to the front and the back. The porch roof will extend the roofline 16 ft. At the far outside the floor is supported by 3 6x6 PT posts. Because of a ground slope to the back, the front post is a 12 footer that comes right to the top of the double 2x10 band joist at the corner. I notched the posts out so the inner 2x10 band joist rests in that notch. The other two posts are 16 footers that rise 2-4 feet above the porch floor. I am joisting it all in now, 2x10 PT 16"o.c. My question is this: How can I extend the 6x6s to support the roof? The center one would be about 12 feet from floor to the ridgeline, the others 8 ft from flor to the bottom edge of the roof. I can't do a lap joint on the front one because of the four half-inch bolts holding the band joists to it. Should I cut the longer posts off at the floor level and then build the porch walls and the roof almost like a completely different structure? I know I should have thought this through but I kept thinking the answer would come to me and it hasn't. Thanks for any advice. I can send pics of where I am if that would help.
Pete in Nashville

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-08, 02:19 PM
Hi Pete, Yes you can cut the longer posts off and build walls then the roof as you stated. If you are going for a vaulted ceiling I would put a post under the ridge, and add some short collar ties near the top of the rafters.

Good luck

Old 08-16-08, 02:46 PM
One more question, then.

Originally Posted by Bill62 View Post
Hi Pete, Yes you can cut the longer posts off and build walls then the roof as you stated. If you are going for a vaulted ceiling I would put a post under the ridge, and add some short collar ties near the top of the rafters.

Good luck

Thanks Bill! Would 4x4s every 4 ft along the 16 foot sides (5 per side) and a 6x6 under the ridge be sufficient?

Old 08-16-08, 06:26 PM
No problem, glad I can help. Framing with 4x4's @ 4' centers is fine with one under the ridge. No need for 6x6. Make sure you have good bracing on the posts under the deck. I might even double up the outside joist on each end. If you have not put the decking on yet you might want to put some insect screen down on the joist before laying the decking.

Old 08-17-08, 07:02 AM
followup

Originally Posted by Bill62 View Post
No problem, glad I can help. Framing with 4x4's @ 4' centers is fine with one under the ridge. No need for 6x6. Make sure you have good bracing on the posts under the deck. I might even double up the outside joist on each end. If you have not put the decking on yet you might want to put some insect screen down on the joist before laying the decking.
Excellent advice and thank you! The 3 outer joists (4th being the ledger board lag bolted to house) are indeed doubled 2x10 PT. As far as the screen under the floor, my plan is to use treated tongue-and-groove for the flooring so I don't think I'll need that. (?) Thanks again, Bill!