Staining problem

Old 08-22-08, 07:06 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Staining problem

I previously used Thompsons water seal on my deck. This summer i decided to strip that a lay down a coat of Sikkens. To make a long story short, the Sikkens was a disaster and I had to strip it as well. Now, I have some gummy-like places on my deck that I can't seem to get off. I don't want to stain with the new stuff until I am sure that these places are off.

Any ideas on how to get that off? Ive applied stripper and powerwashed it twice. I used Cabots Problem solver but have not used the brightener that comes with it yet.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-08, 01:09 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
I've never used any sikkens but it has a good reputation. What was the disaster? was it applied correctly?

Usually a good detergent [tsp, etc] and pressure washing will remove the old coating. have you tried scrubbing on the gummy areas?

Old 08-22-08, 01:31 PM
J
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
I've never used any sikkens but it has a good reputation. What was the disaster? was it applied correctly?

Usually a good detergent [tsp, etc] and pressure washing will remove the old coating. have you tried scrubbing on the gummy areas?
The disaster was operator error. I sprayed it on without having previous experience with a sprayer. It ended up splotchy and didnt dry in a lot of places, presumably because it was too thick.

I haven't scrubbed yet, but that is my next step. What is this TSP you speak of?

Old 08-22-08, 01:48 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
TSP = tri sodium phosphate

You might also try mineral spirits although I don't know how effective it will be a year after the fact.

For future refference, if you go over the sprayed on coating with a roller or brush, it will even out any unequal applications. It also helps to work the coating into the substrate which will help you have a longer lasting job

Old 08-22-08, 01:57 PM
J
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
TSP = tri sodium phosphate

You might also try mineral spirits although I don't know how effective it will be a year after the fact.

For future refference, if you go over the sprayed on coating with a roller or brush, it will even out any unequal applications. It also helps to work the coating into the substrate which will help you have a longer lasting job

Ill try the mineral spirits to see what happens. Im going to pick up an orbital sander as well tonight. Hopefully I can get this deck back into shape! Thanks for your help!