how to attach existing porch posts to concrete slab?

Old 09-06-08, 10:41 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how to attach existing porch posts to concrete slab?

I have some porch posts that are currently un-anchored to the concrete slab they are supposed to be attached to. They had some wooden shims under them and they rotted out. The bottom of the posts have a metal connector, but this is not connected to anything.

The roof they were holding up has started to sag as a result.

I propped things back up with a 2x4 and the posts are now 1 inch above the concrete slab.

[IMG] [/IMG]I would like some advice on how to attach the posts to the concrete slab.

Should I unattach the posts from the beam on the top and start over with first attaching the posts on the concrete slab? Then I would have to add a cap on top of the post to make up the 1 inch I need to hold the roof up properly.

I have also thought about getting something like this connector and moving the post to the side and inserting a bolt into the existing concrete (by drilling a hole with a masonry bit).

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-08, 05:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You could do as you suggest by holding the post to one side and inserting the PB and then relocating the post over it, but how would you attach the PB to the column. Keeping the same problem, only one inch higher. I would remove the column, reconfigure the PB to be attached to the post, install it and shim the top, installing trim molding up there. Do you know if there is a 4x4 inside your column or not? Is the spacing you have now allowing the header to be level, or are you hyperextended now?

Old 09-07-08, 02:13 PM
D
More diagnosis necessary

Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Do you know if there is a 4x4 inside your column or not? Is the spacing you have now allowing the header to be level, or are you hyperextended now?
You are right, i need to remove the fiberboard siding and determine what is under there. I suspect a 4x4. the header is level when i jack it up to close the gap between the soffet and the roof. but that creates the gap under the posts as the pictures show. the header was not level before i propped it up. i probably will go ahead and start over.

I am also curious to see how the top is attached. as i understand it, the tops of posts are usually just toenailed in place and the weight pressing from above really holds things together. is that right?

do you have any suggestions for how i should trim the top of the re-installed post once i have it properly shimmed?

thanks again,
dave

Old 09-07-08, 02:27 PM
D
defintely a 4x4 untreated post

i pulled off the bottom of one of the 6 inch fiber boards and the post is a 4x4 wood (pine?) post. it looks like it is in good shape.

Old 09-07-08, 02:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
In your instance you can trim the top with quarter round, since you will have space. Where there is no space, we usually install small crown molding to form a sort of capital look.