Box stair for deck with angled corner (and slope)

Old 09-06-08, 11:15 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Box stair for deck with angled corner (and slope)

I have been attacking my deck one piece at a time, learning as I go. It is a two level, and I have both levels, as well as the stairs between them, finished. It is only about 14" down from the lower level to the yard. I had planned to just to a box stair. I am trying to figure out how to deal with two things:

A) I have angled one corner.
B) there is a slope in the yard (probably about 5" over the run of the step).

For A, I am trying to figure out how to accurately frame the angled corner.

For B, should I just start with a very short step on the high end, and then extend my box to be taller as I go? I haven't actually figured out what I am going to be landing on, so maybe I use landscaping blocks and bury/stack them to make a level landing (ending up with a bit of a step on the far end).

Thanks!
~john

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-08, 05:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
John, so we can see what you see, how about posting a couple of pictures on a site such as photobucket.com and copy/paste the HTML code to your reply post.

Old 09-07-08, 11:04 PM
J
OK:

The section to the right of the stairs will be a planter box. Along the right side, and wrapping around the front will be a bench, so no step is needed for the highest part. The step down will be on the left side, and wrapping around the front. For the left, and the angle, a single step works fine. The slope then drops off. I guess I could have a second step that terminates into the ground as the slope comes up?

Old 09-09-08, 11:28 PM
J
Bumping.

Note: I just measured it. It is a 15" drop to the ground all the way around to the front. It drops to about 17" over the first 3' of the front, and then drops off to 20" in the next three feet.

Old 09-10-08, 05:00 AM
C
I just tackled this same problem with the deck I'm building. My stairs start on the left side and will wrap around to the front, though I have a few more angles in there. I'll take a pic and load it a little later (gotta hunt for the camera). I have a drop in the yard as well along the stair run - the TOD measurement gets larger as you go from left to right. I decided what my total rise would be (based on the step height I wanted), and then either dug out or added dirt so that it was level throughout the stairs. I have 3 treads (4 steps). I laid 16"x16"x1.5"patio blocks down (2 rows and it was pain to figure out where to cut the angles on them so the cut line matches the stair corner line), 1 row to support the stringers, and an outter one so I can mow right over it. Once I'm done with the deck, I'll bring in enough dirt to feather out the yard up to the blocks so it all looks level and blends together. I cut regular stringers (not a box step, though the plans actually call for box steps). I think you'd be better off with the same amount of stairs all the way around. I really don't like the look or feel of adding steps as I go from left to right (just my opin). I used a speed square, which allows you to place the square up against the outside edge of the wood and then rotate the square until it reads 22.5 deg. That's the angle you want. I used it on the blocks and the angle/cuts came out pretty good (I think :-) . If you plan on doing stringers, I can give you step by step instructions... since I'm not doing the box steps, all I have is a plan print of what the frame looks like - no instructions though).

Old 09-10-08, 05:12 AM
Craftydad, maybe it would help if you, likewise, posted pictures on a site such as photobucket.com and copy/paste the HTML code to your reply post. The OP may benefit from seeing your design. We can sit and figure out the sine, cosine and tangent of the angles needed to fulfill the need, but your pix may help. We'll monitor it in case more information is needed.

Old 09-10-08, 11:38 AM
C
K, I found the camera and took some pics. It rained hard all night, and I had covered the stringers, but portions of the blocks got soaked (the dark portions in the pics). The angles are pretty simple... start on the outside corner of the header joist... go in 2 ft, then over 2 ft, and you now have your next corner point. Length of header is 34 inches for this. The outside angle, for the stairs, then becomes 22.5 deg. Laying out the special rise/run for the 2 corner stringers was a little hard, but not too bad. The straight stringers are 6.75 rise with 11 inch runs (making the top-of-deck 27 inches above grade).

I added them to photobucket - had to use 'craftylad' instead of craftydad... I tagged them all with 'craftyladdeck'.

http://s448.photobucket.com/albums/q...=craftyladdeck

Old 09-10-08, 12:29 PM
J
My solution occurred to me this morning. I have some extra landscaping timbers from a retaining wall I built. I can easily build up the level by five inches at the end of the stairs. The slope off will be fairly minimal, especially considering that I am having my yard graded and sodded. I only need to raise it by five inches.

thanks,
~john

Old 09-10-08, 04:42 PM
Make sure your total rise from the ground to the bottom tread isn't too much. Should be about 7 or 8 inches max. Both of you have excellent projects going, and can be proud of the diy gene you have.