Help with building Sunroom underneath Deck

Old 09-07-08, 02:33 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with building Sunroom underneath Deck

Hello everyone. I'm new to DIY but I figured I'd give this a shot.

I currently have a 10x12 deck attached to my house about 11 feet off the gound. I want to replace the deck with something larger, possibly build a 28X16 and put a sunroom underneath. My dilemma is this: I dont know the best way to put a roof on the sunroom underneath the deck. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Rich

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-08, 02:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Several options exist. Some steel form companies have preformed panels that you can install to run the water out and into a gutter. I had to replace one this past week for a lady who had a "contractor" run common vinyl soffit 12 feet long with a pitch of zero to 1 1/2". She was wondering why she was having horrendous leaks and bulges. Without costing her an arm and leg and trying to salvage what she had already spent a fortune on, I removed each piece, numbered it, reconfigured the drop to 6 more inches and relocated the gutters. Vinyl soffit, needless to say is not an option.

Old 09-07-08, 03:05 PM
R
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Several options exist. Some steel form companies have preformed panels that you can install to run the water out and into a gutter. I had to replace one this past week for a lady who had a "contractor" run common vinyl soffit 12 feet long with a pitch of zero to 1 1/2". She was wondering why she was having horrendous leaks and bulges. Without costing her an arm and leg and trying to salvage what she had already spent a fortune on, I removed each piece, numbered it, reconfigured the drop to 6 more inches and relocated the gutters. Vinyl soffit, needless to say is not an option.
Thanks. Do you happen to have a name or website for one of these companies?

My original thought was to put a standard shingle roof underneath the deck with about a 10" drop from the house side to the guttered edge. (about 15' with the deck overhanging about 1' past that) For the deck I was gonna use 4x4 sticking thru the roof every 32 inches for the decking support. Maybe sealed with galvanized sheet metal and tar?

Old 09-07-08, 07:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I googled "under deck cover system" and got an elephant full of sites, so you may want to start there to, at least, see what designs they have, warranties, etc.

Old 09-08-08, 12:54 AM
R
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
I googled "under deck cover system" and got an elephant full of sites, so you may want to start there to, at least, see what designs they have, warranties, etc.
Thanks, Ill see what I can find.

Old 09-08-08, 06:53 AM
D
I just finished the same type of project

Had a new 10X36 evlevated deck built and installed a galvanized sheet metal roof on 2X4 stud rafters and built a screen porch underneath. Came out great, and love the look of the exposed rafters and metal roofing from the inside.

Old 09-08-08, 10:49 AM
R
Originally Posted by dalee99 View Post
Had a new 10X36 evlevated deck built and installed a galvanized sheet metal roof on 2X4 stud rafters and built a screen porch underneath. Came out great, and love the look of the exposed rafters and metal roofing from the inside.
Do you have any pictures of it?

Old 09-09-08, 11:15 AM
D
Pictures...

Don't have any right now, but will take some and post them soon.

Old 09-09-08, 11:33 AM
R
Originally Posted by dalee99 View Post
Don't have any right now, but will take some and post them soon.
Thanks! I appreciate it! I've been looking everywhere to find something that looks good.