Replacing Screen door that's too wide?

Old 09-07-08, 02:44 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing Screen door that's too wide?

After living in this house for 15 years, I just realized that the screen door that goes out to the deck is too wide in that the edge that has the furry strip to seal out mosquitos doesn't stop on the center divider. As a consequence, even when the screen door is "closed", mosquitos can still slip in. How would I remove this screen door? What are my chances of finding a replacement that fits properly?

Thanks

E Steve K

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-08, 05:05 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Is this a wooden or aluminum door?
What size is the door? and the opening?

Old 09-10-08, 04:26 PM
E
Marksr

It's an aluminum sliding screen door. It's dimensions are 32 3/4 x 80 inches. For it to work properly, it would have to be 29 1/2 to 31 inches wide.

E Steve K

Old 09-11-08, 04:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
You should be able to lift up the screen door and kick out the bottom. You may need to use a putty knife [or similiar] and lift up the bottom wheels to get the door to "kick" out.

I'd check with the different door/window suppliers for the availability of a replacement. If you can find out the manufacture's name - that should help.

Old 09-11-08, 04:51 AM
H
"Most" can also be cut down depending where the adjusting screws are. We as a glass company do it all the time but you might have a hard time getting someone else to cut it down for you. Check first to see if you have the room to cut the amount off equally on each side without interferring with the rollers. Take the spline out and remove the screen. If the scrren is in good shape you can reinstall it. Frame should come apart. Cut top and bottom rails to desired width. If you can't cut off all on one end without hitting the rollers then divide the measument by 2 and cut both ends. Then rescreen. this web page will help with the rescreening. Good luck
http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/d.../scrnrepl.html

Old 09-11-08, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Nobody mentioned you can buy replacement screens at any Box store and most hardware and glass stores. They probably range from $30-70 depending on quality.
Original manufacturer would be best if possible.

Heres a basic guide to installing a screen, reverse to remove...

http://www.swisco.com/informative/pd...io-Screen-Door

Old 09-20-08, 02:46 PM
E
Thanks all. I was able to pop it out. A quick look around the edges didn't turn up a name brand. I'd look into a replacement screen door.

E Steve K