Outdoor Pine Beadboard Porch Ceiling Sealing

Old 09-10-08, 05:32 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outdoor Pine Beadboard Porch Ceiling Sealing

I'm currently installing a tongue and groove beadboard pine porch ceiling and am looking for advice on how to best seal the wood.

I've been advised to seal the back as well as the front of the pine planks to further protect the wood. As it is a ceiling, it won't be directly in contact with the elements, but it is outdoors, so it will certainly need something. I'm wondering what product would be best.

Right now I'm thinking a spar urethane might be best, but could I use something as simple as Thompson's Water Seal? I'm assuming if I want a glossy finish, the spar urethane would be best. Is there something else out there?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-08, 06:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I installed one for a client, and they finished it with polyshades by minwax and attained a great glossy finish. Being outside the wood will swell and contract, and IMO poly on all sides won't help all that much. Our paint guru's will chime in here after supper, so hang on.

Old 09-11-08, 04:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 333 Votes on 296 Posts
I don't think it would be neccesary to coat the backside but it wouldn't hurt. Thompson's waterseal and similiar products don't offer much protection for plywood. While a spar/marine poly/varnish is the only kind recomended for exterior use, there shouldn't be any problems with using an interior grade poly. I put up 3/8" beadboard plywood on my front porch ceiling 4-5 yrs ago and finished it with an interior poly [on face only] and have had no issues.

I don't like applying polyshades [or any tinted poly] over raw wood. Unless you are spraying [and good at it] it is too hard to control the color. Lap marks, runs, etc will all be darker than the rest. If you plan to stain - do it before installation and apply 1-2 coats of poly on it prior to installation - that will make the job easier

Old 09-11-08, 09:10 AM
S
... just to clarify, I'll be using solid pine tongue and groove bead board, and not plywood.

Old 09-11-08, 02:02 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 333 Votes on 296 Posts
3 coats of poly would still be better. Waterseal might adequately protect the ceiling but I doubt it would prevent the wood from discoloring as it ages. Oil base poly will deepen the colors in the wood [which I like ] . and yellow/amber as it ages. Waterbased poly goes on milky but dries and stays clear - it doesn't change the color of the wood any.

I still recomend staining and sealing before installation because it's quicker and with the tongue fully stained, you won't have to worry about any raw wood be exposed if the wood shrinks any. You do need to be carefull to not get a lot of poly build up on the t&g, especially drips/runs or you might have a little trouble putting them together. Sandpaper or knife/scraper is a quick fix if you do get too much on the t&g.

The final coat of poly should always go on after installation.

Old 09-11-08, 09:30 PM
S
Great, thanks for the tips.

A carpenter recommended sealing the backside as well for a long lasting job. I've had issues with water leaking into the porch space in the past - which is the reason the old porch ceiling had to come down. The roof issues have been resolved, so hopefully no more leaks, but I figured the extra insurance of coating the back won't hurt anything.