Does aluminum decking make a lot of noise when walked on?

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-08, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Does aluminum decking make a lot of noise when walked on?

I am interested in LockDry aluminum decking for our proposed 1100 sq. ft. deck just because it will be maintenance-free and has good reviews from Consumer Reports. I can't find anywhere, however, how much sound it puts off. Perhaps it is constructed with something to help absorb the sound; does anyone know? I would also be interested to know how pleased or dissatisfied people are with this product.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-08, 06:27 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Forget about the noise. How hot would that thing get? Some people like to walk with nothing on their feet in the summer. That's almost impossible with Trex. Imagine what it would be with aluminum.

Secondly, pressure treated and cedar are maintenance free too, except that most people insist on staining it just to stop it from turning gray. I don't understand it.

Old 09-12-08, 06:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I googled the site, and they claim the product isn't hot to the touch. Maybe not in North Dakota, but here in the south, if the sun hits it, it will be hot. I'll have to admit aluminum does dissipate heat better than steel. I have a steel framing square and one of aluminum. I go for the aluminum one if they are laying around in the sun. The steel one will hurt you.
Is the cost worth it?

Old 10-30-08, 04:15 PM
I purchased the lockdry and aluminum rails for my deck about 4 years ago. Very nice products. It doesn't get burning hot like the old wood decking and still looks like it did when i bought it. Never really noticed it being loud to walk on. It might be if your banging on it with a hammer but I don't plan on doing that!

Old 10-31-08, 11:13 PM
aluminum deck

I dont have one and probably wouldn't build one - I've been to too many high school football games and walked on / sat on their alum bleachers. I'd be afraid my new deck would be just as noisy - even without hundreds of fans stomping before every play!!!!
I suggest you check out your local HBA home show for expert opinions / options.

Old 03-13-14, 09:49 AM
Mine isn't hot but I have a cream coloured deck. It's not loud to walk on but mine squeaks a lot. And it's next to impossible to fix that short of disassembling it and screwing it again. Looks like new except debris gets stuck in the channels and needs to be hosed off. All in all I'd have probably chosen a different material but the grass is always greener.

Closed Thread