Methods for attaching rails to posts

Old 09-12-08, 07:46 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Methods for attaching rails to posts

I have just built a tigerwood deck. I had planned on using cedar for the railing as I didn't want to spend the money on more tigerwood. I had planned on using pre-notched posts. I so love the look of the tigerwood now that it is installed that I decided to go for a matching railing. Initially I figured I would notch the posts for the 2x4's to attach. The wood is so hard, however, that I am wondering if I can avoid all the chiseling.

I am using 4x4 posts, with 2x4's spanning. I will be using metal tubular baulsters. The posts will protrude, and I will be using glass post caps.

One thing I don't like about notching is that the 2x4's won't be centered in the posts. I am currently thinking about either:

A) Attaching with angle brackets on bottom, and a toe screw in the top.

-or-

B) using pocket screws to attach to the post. The problem here is that I can't easily plug the pocket hole (I have plugs, but not from tigerwood). It is fine for the underside, but I would want to attach on the top as well, and that would be visible.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
~john

Old 09-13-08, 04:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
Trying to draw a picture in my old brain, and the only thing I can come up with, if it were me, I would mortise the newel posts and tenon the rails to fit in them. Either that or use a router and route dadoes where they will meet on the 4x4 edge, countersink screws into the cedar and the newel posts.

Old 09-13-08, 07:13 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I found this picture on a web site:

I had been planning on having the 2x4's upright (in "portrait" orientation). Not sure why. I think I like this way better with the 2x4's flat. It occurs to be that I can just notch the posts (with either a circular saw or router (probably use the saw to cut the perimeter, and clean out with a router) all the way across, and set the 2X4 into the notch. The cut would be visible from the side, but I have no experience doing a mortise and tenon, and don't really know where to start.

Does this seem like a valid soution?

Old 09-14-08, 06:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
I don't think seeing the mortise on the side would be too bad.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: