Is it safe to have an ARBOR attached to the House...

Old 09-14-08, 01:57 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is it safe to have an ARBOR attached to the House...

without any rear post for support?

My deck is 10 by 20 and I have a 10 by 10 arbor that extends out from my covered patio in the backyard. The Arbor has two large post at the front (furthest away from the house) but does not have any at the rear where it is connected to the patio roof. The patio roof itself has posts to support the patio roof, though. My concern is would there be potential for the arbor to collapse with out any rear posts? Right now, it is only attached to the patio with nails, no screws or brackets. I apologize of the post is confusing, I'll try to add pics if necessary...

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-08, 07:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Post some pictures on a site such as photobucket.com and copy/paste the HTML code to your reply post. Carriage bolts should be used rather than just nails, but we'll wait on the pix.

Larry

Half of communications is listening, and you can't listen with your mouth.

Old 09-15-08, 05:55 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pictures added. Thanks

Old 09-16-08, 05:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Worst case scenario, the arbor is not directly attached into the rafter tails themselves, and just nailed to the fascia board. At least you have a 2x fascia board. That helps, but it ain't 100%. Locate the rafter tails and predrill/install 4" lag screws with washers along the length of the ledger. I do see what I think is one bolt head, so it may be minimally attached, but just attaching it to the fascia isn't good. Your fears are well founded since the arbor could detach itself if not properly attached.