Will liquid dishwashing soap protect wood on concrete?

Old 09-21-08, 11:50 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Will liquid dishwashing soap protect wood on concrete?

My nieghbors always have answers to my questions and when I was asking about protecting the posts under the porch I was told about using liquid dishsoap.
These posts sit on concrete piers with a piece of asphalt roofing under the ends of the posts. We've a rainy climate and I'm concerned about the ones on the south side of the house especially.
Has anyone any experience using dishsoap?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-08, 12:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
No, but using the proper Simpson Strong Tie Post Base will alleviate the need for either. You can temporarily support the deck, cut off what you need on the posts and reinstall on a stand off post base made for that purpose. And, thinking through the physics of the dishsoap thingy, what would keep it from washing away, since it rinses so completely from dishes???

Old 09-21-08, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
dish soap will not protect your posts. does water sit on the posts where they contact the concrete or does it drain well?
if they drain well you should be fine like it is.

Drill Press a tall upright machine usefull for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that if smacks you in the chest and flings your drink across the room, splattering it against that freshly-stained heirloom piece you were drying.