What Stain/Sealer for Patio Cover? (PICS)

Old 10-02-08, 10:21 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What Stain/Sealer for Patio Cover? (PICS)

I need advice on how to stain/seal a 5 month old Patio Cover. The installer is recommending Behr but I have read that it is not very good. It's mostly just the vertical posts that are exposed to sunlight but I would like to stain/seal it all over. The lower areas of the vertical posts are lighter now probably due to sunlight and water. The vertical posts are mounted in cement which are hidden in mulch. I have been finding a lot of information about decks but not much on Patio Covers.

The wood is rough-cut Douglas Fir, which I sanded down smooth.

What is the best stain/sealer to use on this? I want to keep the light wood color as much as possible but I understand that stain/sealer will make it a bit darker.

Does it need to be power washed since it is fairly new?

The roofer (idiot) sealed some of the boards because of a leak he could not find. The installer finally had the roof repaired by a different roofer. Now I am left with this silicone between some of the boards. Do you think that will look really bad with stain/sealer around it.

Any help is appreciated.

Trying to upload or link pictures below:

Last edited by Scrayen; 10-02-08 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Pinking to pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-08, 02:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 333 Votes on 296 Posts
Could you downsize the pics a litttle? It would make them easier to see.

You will probably want to use a wood brightner on the lower stuff and a good cleaning never hurts but you shouldn't need a pressure washer [unless you have one handy]

SWP, BenMoore and cabot all have good stains. Silkens is supposed to be good to although I've never used any. You will always find better coatings at your local paint store as opposed to any big box paint dept.

No stain will adhere to the silicone caulk. It might not show too bad with clear or near wood color stains - too hard to say for sure. It won't be any fun to remove the caulk. You might be able to cut it and peel, then scrape and sand of the rest