Too late to seal the deck?

Old 10-05-08, 09:30 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Too late to seal the deck?

Just curious to see if people think it is getting too late in th season to seal my deck. I cleaned it at the beginning of September and was going to seal it the following weekend, but I ended up being out of town. The following two weeks we had a lot of rain jsut before or on the weekend, and now it is the beginning of October and the deck isn't sealed.

I live in Maryland, and the temps during the day still reach 70 or so, but it dips down at night, so we get a lot of dew. I don't think it will get warm enough to really dry out the deck and the dew every morning ends up getting it wet again anyway. would I be better off waiting until next spring to seal it? I have Wolman's RainShield if that matters.

Thanks,
Neil

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-08, 05:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
I've not used a lot of wolman's coatings - what does the label say? Is this an oil base, waterborne or latex stain?

Generally the wood must be dry before applying any sealer/stain. Depending on the type, dew may or may not affect the coating. Dew will slow down the drying/curing time. Depending on the type of coating used, it might affect the looks or even durability.

Old 10-06-08, 06:03 AM
R
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
I've not used a lot of wolman's coatings - what does the label say? Is this an oil base, waterborne or latex stain?

Generally the wood must be dry before applying any sealer/stain. Depending on the type, dew may or may not affect the coating. Dew will slow down the drying/curing time. Depending on the type of coating used, it might affect the looks or even durability.
If I remember correctly, I got the water based version (it also has an oil based version). The label seems a little vague. It talks abuot the splash test to see if there is an existing coating (there isn't), and says that it shuold not be applied if precipitation is expected within 24 hours.

Now here is the part that confuses me. It states that if the surface is in direct sunlight and hot to the touch, dampen with fresh cool water and remove any standing water before beginning application. To me, this would imply that you could apply this stuff at any time, as long as there is no standing water and it doesn't rain in the 24 hours following application.

What happens if you seal wood that isn't completely dry? I would think that it may rot, but since you aren't coating the underside of the deck, moisture can still get out, right?

A link to the instructions is below. Maybe I am missing something.

http://www.wolman.com/pdf/datasheets/P_7_61.pdf

Thanks,
Neil

Old 10-06-08, 06:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The link was for the oil base version but I assume you have the waterborne. Basically you can apply it to slightly damp wood and it will be ok. It is best for all the dew to be gone but you don't need to let the wood dry throughly. Depending on sun light, wind, etc. the coating may rewet with the next dew but if you give it an extra day to dry before walking on it, it should be ok.

The reason for wetting a hot, dry deck is to prevent the coating from drying too fast. If it dries too fast it will more or less dry on top of the wood instead of penetrating and forming a better bond with the substrate.

Water based and waterborne coatings have the capability of either obsorbing some moisture in the wood or let it pass thru the coating as it dries. Oil base won't allow moisture to pass thru itelf so unless the moisture can find another way out, it might try to go thru the coating, removing it in the process

Old 10-06-08, 06:29 AM
R
Ooops Here is the correct link:

http://www.wolman.com/pdf/datasheets/P_8_90.pdf

I noticed the oil based version didn't mention wetting the wood at all. Sounds like I'll be ok even if the wood isn't completely dry. Maybe if it is a nice warm day and hasn't rained for a couple of days prior, I can start sealing just after lunch, giving some time for the dew to dry out.

Thanks,
Neil

Old 10-06-08, 06:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, it shoud be ok. Just keep an eye on the weather forecast. Typically coatings applied this time of year dry slower which means it needs more time before it can withstant rain. I'd also be leary of applying it if frost is forecast for the next morning.