How Can I save $ on a composite deck install?

Old 10-05-08, 03:46 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How Can I save $ on a composite deck install?

Hello,

Recently got some estimates on a Composite deck install.
For a 16x14 deck here in DE.
They were 9-12000!

That is above budget. Would I save by having someone install the supports/ posts below and I would install the deck myself? I am a little handy, but afraid to install the supporting!

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-08, 04:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Not too out of line considering the cost of composite. You can save on labor by doing the decking yourself, of course. But after the decking you will have to either call them back to do your balustrade, or figure out how to do that part yourself. The framing won't be all that expensive at all, as the decking is a great deal of the cost, and the balustrade and staircase, if any, will be about half that cost.

Old 10-22-08, 02:34 AM
M
composite deck $$$

Dont know how soon you want to install the deck, but one suggestion is to attend your local Home Builders Association(HBA) spring or fall convention. They are held in all major cities in their convention center and open to the public(usually less than $10 for a one-day pass - Thurs thru Sunday). Check the HBA website or convention center calendar online for dates. Exhibitors usually include local contractors that have show 'specials' and its one place to compare all the options and actually look at and feel what you are considering. Be prepared for some 'high' pressure selling - "schedule a onsite visit and quote and you get the show 50% off special". But I think its worth it if you are planning to spend $10K on a deck. I attend the one in St Louis every spring and fall. Every homeowner should go to them - if for no other reason than to get some ideas on those 'unforseen' projects/repairs.

Old 10-23-08, 09:00 PM
That seems about right for a composite deck. What materials were you considering? I recently had my deck built, (I used a PVC product though) and helped out the contractor by doing some of the tedious trim work.

One thing to consider is the railing may be your most expensive item. For me it was the cost of Labor, railing, deckboards, framing, in that order for cost of the items. Because my contractor had never built with the product I selected I ended up pulling the permit and ordering all the materials, except for some of the framing hardware. PM me if you want to see some pictures of my deck.