Vinyl Decks, Is it worth the price?

Old 10-16-08, 09:55 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vinyl Decks, Is it worth the price?

Hello,

Anyone have any info on Vinyl decks? I seem to have a hard time finding any info.
Are prices higher than Composite? Have the prices been coming down through the years or soaring like everything else?
If it is higher $ does anyone think its worth paying more compared to composite?
Quality?

Thanks for any info!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-08, 10:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 644 Votes on 596 Posts
Unless you are talking about a SOLID PVC decking, like Azek Porch... I would stay away from vinyl decking. The ones I have seen and been on are very squeeky, and they look dirty and cheap. I wouldn't install one even on my worst enemy's house.

Composites are great, and if you are thinking of going that route, you can get some good opinions here on which brands are best. You are right about them being expensive. One recent bid we worked on was $30,000 to strip, repair, and recover an existing two-story 900 SF deck, which included completely rebuilding new stairways, landings and railings. Unfortunately for us, once the homeowner was resuscitated, they politely declined our offer.

Old 10-22-08, 02:09 AM
M
vinyl decking

I don't know where you live, but before building something you might hate, I'd suggest you attend a local home builders show at the convention center. Most major cities have them in the spring and fall. They're usually open to the public and cost to attend is $10 or less for the day - usually Thurs thru Sunday. Exhibitors range from mole killers to whole house builders, including decking manufacturers and contractors. Most will have small deck sections / samples in their booth and literature. Good place to get lots of opinions and 'deals of the day'. Check the convention center calendar online or contact the local Home Builders Association(HBA) website. Register with the HBA online and they might send you a free pass.
Good luck

PS - I know its not 'green' but I still prefer the look and 'feel' of a real wood deck. Cleaning and treating required annually, but its still my preference AND I think it enhances home resale.

Old 10-23-08, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by XSleeper View Post
Unless you are talking about a SOLID PVC decking, like Azek Porch... I would stay away from vinyl decking. The ones I have seen and been on are very squeeky, and they look dirty and cheap. I wouldn't install one even on my worst enemy's house.

Composites are great, and if you are thinking of going that route, you can get some good opinions here on which brands are best. You are right about them being expensive. One recent bid we worked on was $30,000 to strip, repair, and recover an existing two-story 900 SF deck, which included completely rebuilding new stairways, landings and railings. Unfortunately for us, once the homeowner was resuscitated, they politely declined our offer.
I had my deck built with a hollow Vinyl/PVC decking. As far as the squeaking goes, there is a little bit of that. It comes down to how straight and level you can get the joists. I researched and went with lumber treated with the Micropro injection technology instead of the ACQ soaked, and I think that helped a little. Plus you need ot make sure nothing is pushing up from underneath the board like a brace for a rail post. I wrote up some commentary about the products I selected and my deck building experience. PM me and I will send it to you.

Some composites have had a lot of structural and mold problems in the past. I think most of these issues are behind them but it was enough of a scare for me to go PVC/Vinyl/plastic all the way for my deck. So far I am happy.

To answer your question, about whether Vinyl is worth it? I think it is very subjective based on what you want to do with your deck and the type of products you choose. You can find Vinyl products cheaper than composites, and vice versa. IMHO for my situation the answers was yes. The answer for you may be different.

---------------
-D in MN

Old 10-24-08, 03:09 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Composite. I will never put real wood outside again. The only problem I've had is it can be a little slick when wet.

Old 10-25-08, 07:00 AM
N
Originally Posted by ednorton1 View Post
Hello,

Anyone have any info on Vinyl decks? I seem to have a hard time finding any info.
Are prices higher than Composite? Have the prices been coming down through the years or soaring like everything else?
If it is higher $ does anyone think its worth paying more compared to composite?
Quality?

Thanks for any info!
I just put in a 20x40 deck using TimberTech XLM pvc decking. It is solid and looks great. I went with the PVC offering because the deck gets limited sun.

Shop around and you can get the best price in your area. I think it was about $1 more per foot board but I felt that was worth it if you are staying in the house for any number of years.

I saw another deck that was composite and it just didnt look good with stains and such from rusty outdoor furniture and dropped food. The PVC wont stain and is easy to clean.

Also, the stuff is REALLY light. 1 person can easily pick up 4 16 foot boards. Cutting the boards is very easy too.