Questions about repairing a concrete porch

Old 11-11-08, 02:30 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Questions about repairing a concrete porch

I live in florida east coast, i have about 13' x 7' cement layout for my porch, cornered by brick and is screened in. I have only the basics for most knowledge of painting, however i have been looking at a way to paint or stain it... which infact of the two would be better? I was looking at stripping it and getting most of old painting off using some abrasives. Im trying to consider doing this myself unless i absolutely need help which i can easily get. Other than that it had been painted before maybe twice, but is in terrible condition now.

Any recommendations about this would be helpful on getting started; necessary prepping, painting/staining and sealing

Old 11-14-08, 05:47 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Recently, I pressure washed a cement stoop that had about 10 or more layers of paint on it. It took me almost 6 hours of steady work using a zero tip and there is still some paint left.

The idea was to remove all the paint and never paint it again. I don't know why people paint concrete and brick. If you want the brick to last, never paint it.

Old 12-02-08, 06:16 PM
M
I'm assuming people paint/stain concrete or cement to bring out a houses appearence! and for weatherproofing so floor is not so slippery... I wasnt asking why I shouldn't but it guess seems that I should find other ways of Expert advice on it instead.

Old 12-09-08, 02:14 PM
D
Pro to the rescue

Hello im a small buisness owner from iowa. I have been in the painting trade for 15 years and i think i can help you with your porch problem.... First i will tell you that the question paint or stain dependes on if you can remove All PAINT from the porch or not .. if yes then stain is the low maint. way to go.. if no... repaint is the only option...paint it with a concrete enamal if repaint is needed.. Stain sealer is your choice check w/ the home improvement store to determin what sealer is best for your area of the country.... Now for the bad news.., Removal of the old paint can be done many different ways. If it were my house i would use an acid etch technique witch involves toxic chemacals but if very effective.. to be bought at a paint special store. Another way mite be to coat the porch w/ a thinner and let soak then powerwash it with an industrial tip then repete until satisfied...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: