Any treatment under the deck?

Old 01-08-09, 10:29 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Any treatment under the deck?

We will be building a new deck within the next few weeks - pressure treated douglas fir for ledgers, posts and joists underneath, heartwood B redwood for the deck itself, and douglas fir for a pergola. Is there a different amount of time we would need to treat the df and redwood or can we do them both at the same time? How long should we wait? We live in So. Calif. -- so relatively dry climate. Also, is there anything we need to do to treat areas underneath since it will be inaccessible once the deck is built?

Old 01-08-09, 03:20 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
As long as you are using ACQ treated lumber for the framing, you don't want to do anything else to it. Anything you did would probably shorten the life of the ACQ.

You can treat the redwood and the DF of the pergola at the same time, but you probably don't want to use the same stuff to treat the two different types of wood with. The redwood will do fine with a semi-transparent sealer, like Sikkens, Super Deck, Cabots, etc. The DF won't. It needs a solid stain or paint for maximum protection it from the elements.

The redwood will be KD. In all likelihood, the DF will be green.

My 2 cents worth -- you sure are buying yourself a lot of maintenance!! I'm a deck contractor, and I haven't built a wood deck in about 6 years. Everybody is going with composite or PVC decking and not having to worry about the staining and seling every year or two. I also do covers, and haven't done a wood cover in 4 or 5 years -- same reason -- nobody wants to spend their vacation working on them. Aluminum or vinyl. You'll pay a little more up front, but vacations are available to go have fun!!

Old 01-08-09, 04:26 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Lefty. I appreciate your input.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: