condensation on patio ceiling

Old 01-15-09, 12:08 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
condensation on patio ceiling

I've noticed condensation on my screened in patio ceiling. I did paint it this past summer, but used the same color and exterior paint. I did not use a primer because I was going over it with the same color. Any suggestions as to what maybe causing this problem and possible cure. Thanks Readmix

Old 01-15-09, 12:26 PM
T
When warmer, more humid air makes contact with a cooler surface, it condenses. The ceiling of the patio roof is shaded and is not exposed to sunlight. Thus, the air around tends to be warmer. This also tends to be more problematic on days that the wind is not blowing. The wind provides air circulation which helps expedite the drying of the condensation. Some report less of a problem if the ceiling is insulated. Depending on type of patio roof and its construction, it may be possible to insulate and ventilate.

Old 01-20-09, 08:03 AM
R
I don't know if it is insulated. The patio was part of the house when it was built, which is also part of the house roof. The ceiling seems to be some type of wood and not sheetrock. I wonder if I could just cut a hole in the ceiling and put a vent cover over that and let it vent through the attic if that would help?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: