Deck Railings

Old 01-16-09, 05:05 PM
L
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Deck Railings

Hello,

We live at the shore and so our house gets a lot of salt air exposure & environmental abuse. Painted railings only stay painted for 2-3 years. We are looking to replace our railings with vinyl and have been told that there is a big difference in which railings one chooses--that some will look terrible in a year, while others will hold up better to the elements.

Can anyone verify if this is true & if so, which brands will hold up the best to the salt air?

Your expert suggestions are much appreciated!

Old 01-16-09, 05:20 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You will want vinyl railings made with PVC composition designed to withstand harsh coastal environments.

Superior Products & General Contracting-Structural Vinyl Railings

Exterior Contractor Product Guide: EverNew vinyl deck

Composite railings seem to be what's higher in demand than vinyl for coastal environments.

http://www2.basf.us/corporate/custom...satron_CSS.pdf

Coastal Contractor: Durable Decks

Fypon, Ltd.

Old 01-16-09, 05:40 PM
L
Thank you! We were looking at Certainteed, and that came up when I clicked on your second link. Between that & the "Superior Products" vinyl, are they pretty much the same? (I don't think we want to go with composite.)

--Lisa

Old 01-20-09, 10:30 AM
C
A cheaper alternative is to use a conventional pressure treated railing system and stain it with a good quality deck stain. I don't know why anyone would paint a deck or it's railings in the first place. With the stain, you can simply blast another coat on with an airless sprayer whenever the railing starts looking cruddy. All of the manufactured railing systems cost way too much and anything you put outdoors looks lousy after awhile anyway. You will need to power wash your plastic railings regularly. I have a house on the coast of Maine with a 75' deck that is 20 years old and faces the ocean. Looks great.

Old 02-25-09, 05:31 PM
P
Pressure Treated Wood Porch Railings

I built my own porch railings using pressure treated wood. Reading this, I think I should have stained them instead of painting.

If you go the pressure treated route, there are few things you should know to keep the wood from warping and cracking. If you what to see a step by step porch railings build, with photos and pressure treated wood tips, you can see my write up on how to build porch railings.

Sorry, just reread and see you are building deck railings, not porch railings. So your design would most likely be different and simpler.

--Peter

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: