Floor covering for deck/carport roof

Old 02-24-09, 10:07 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Floor covering for deck/carport roof

Our 24'X24' deck is also the roof of our carport. Construction is 2X10s on 2' centers supported by three 24' I-beams. The deck is covered with 3/4" plywood sealed with a built-up roof of tar-paper and asphalt. A covering of green indoor/outdoor carpeting provides a walking surface that protects the roofing.
The roof was damaged by a storm and we HATE the green carpeting. We need to strip the roofing and start over. We would like a covering better looking than the green carpeting and wonder if something like a EPDM would be be better than the asphalt & tar-paper.
Could we tile the roof? How would we do it?
Other suggestions? Cost is an issue.

Last edited by sdilley; 02-24-09 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-24-09, 03:40 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Tiling the roof is out of the question. The roof tiles wouldn't support the deck. EDPM would be one solution. DryJoist would be another. (DryJoist.com) A system like Under Deck or Dry Below would be others. And there are others out there as well.

Go to a local lumberyard (NOT a big box store) and ask them.

Old 03-16-09, 10:22 AM
W
Hope you don't mind me butting in here Lefty, but waterproof aluminum decking is still another option. It has been used for carports for at least 10 years. We have a version of it call Ariddek. Another is LockDry made by Floatation Systems (our competitor) is also an excellent waterproof decking. These are the only two that I know of that are truly waterproof. There are other aluminum decking products that claim to be waterproof, but they require silicone in every joint. Ariddek and LockDry do not. And aluminum decking is cooler in summer that woods and composites.

Mike

Old 04-06-09, 03:06 PM
A
My neighbor has a carport that they use as a deck. He used plywood, tar paper, then just has 5 x 5 cedar "pallets" that he sets on the roof so they can use it as a deck, but not damage the roofing paper. He said he takes the pallets off and sweeps debris from the roof occasionally, but otherwise leaves them on year round (this is Minnesota). I'm in the process of building the same type of carport onto my house with a rooftop deck.

He's used the same pallets for 10 years. They still look in pretty good shape for how much effort he puts into them.

Old 05-09-09, 03:13 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Joe Swantack,

I'm not as sure about the EDPM being "the way to go" as I was a couple of months ago. There are aluminum systems that are equally as water tight and last longer -- albeit at a higher cost...

HMMM, ... "it's not how much you pay, it's how often you pay it" comes to mind.

Worth looking into.

Old 07-22-09, 08:08 AM
S
Highway paint?

Back after delaying due to a more pressing project followed by weather too hot for roof projects.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have reviewed every one.

EDPM is attacked by asphalt (I am told), so the asphalt residue after stripping would compromise it. Also I am advised that EDPM does not survive well under traffic and furniture.

The "under" drainage systems are out because the solid plywood decking doesn't allow water to get "under".

Aluminum decking would be great except for the cost.

The wood "pallet' is doable and my current backup plan.

One suggestion was parking lot or highway paint over a flat roof of asphalt and tar paper. According to the manufacturer, the paint forms a very tough film (tough enough for years of auto traffic), and is easily repaired or resurfaced. It is available in white that can be re-pigmented to any color.

I plan on going with the paint and if it doesn't survive well, I will cover that with the wood pallet idea.

Please comment!

Last edited by sdilley; 07-22-09 at 08:33 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: