Question about maximum deck size in DE

Old 03-01-09, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question about maximum deck size in DE

I am drawing up plans for a new deck and I live in New Castle County Delaware in 19702. I am having trouble determining what they mean when the FAQ the county put out says:
Q: How large a deck can I build?
A: An uncovered deck that is elevated above ground level may project half the distance of the minimum required yard setback, but no more then fifteen (15) feet.

Can anyone decipher this? Does anyone from this county know more about how far my deck can extend beyond the back of my house. My plans so far range from 16 - 20 feet from the back of the house. I don't really want to cut a foot off each deck board to make it fifteen and waste all that.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-09, 01:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'm far from your county, but the setback refers to the distance from your house to the property line. 15 feet is a monster deck (you may have to put blue landing lights on it if you get bigger), so if they give you that latitude, and your house sits more than 30 feet from the property line, you should be good. Directly ask your county inspector what it means, because he will be the one who will approve it or fail it. Go with a 14' deck and use 14' lumber if you want. Don't push the envelope, as they will always win.

Old 03-03-09, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I just talked with the department of land use here and the correct way to interpret the rule is that I can extend my elevated deck halfway into the setback or no more then 15 feet. If I did that however my deck would be about 90 feet from my house as there is a good 75 feet from my house to the setback line (that is 40 feet in from the rear property line). What a relief. Now back to the drawing board for deck design.