Reuse Decking Materials

Old 03-14-09, 12:37 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Reuse Decking Materials

Looking for input on the following:

I have a 650+sq/ft deck that was built in 2000. The deck was neglected, maybe painted once in the last 9 years.... I just bought the house.

The structure is sound and the wood is in good shape. The exposed wood is starting to show obvious signs of wear. Splintering, some splitting etc.

I went under the deck and the reverse side of the floor boards is in excellent shape.

My question, can I pry up the boards and flip them and paint them with a penetrating sealer? I do not have the cash to replace the lumber and then dispose of the old.

Any other ideas? I have a 1 year old and am told that sanding is not a good idea. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated !

Old 03-14-09, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Sure, why not..prob quite a bit of work..and there may be a few that need to be replaced.
Also may need to use screws to reattach and may wind up with some extra holes.

Old 03-14-09, 12:56 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Any ideas on the best way to pull them up with the least damage?

Old 03-14-09, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator
Well, when I had to do it for termite treatment..it was a prybar and a little at a time. A plastic deadblow hammer from underneath helps and is less marring to the wood. If you have room to swing from underneath you could use a small 1.5 pound hand sledge and a wood block. You still need to start at the end.

If they lift pretty easy, once you get an end loose they may just lever out. Could be real tough if they used spiral or ring shank nails.

Old 03-14-09, 04:45 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 722 Upvotes on 633 Posts
Personally, I don't think it would be worth the effort. I doubt you would have a finished product that would look good with a clear to semi-transparent stain. Save yourself a lot of work, clean the deck up and apply a quality solid stain.

Old 03-14-09, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator
bildy true what mark said..is it really painted or just some sort of stain? You could use a deck cleaner/stripper, a pressure washer (lightly!!) or a scrub brush on a handle and a hose. Then put a good stain on the surface.

If it was really paint..it might be a different story.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: