Connecting Stair Stringers

Old 03-16-09, 05:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Connecting Stair Stringers

I need to replace one section of stairs heading down to my boat dock. It looks like it will take 9 steps to get from the top section down to the lower section. I was hoping to buy precut stair stringers so that I don't have to cut them myself. It looks like Home Depot and Lowes both sell stair stringers in sets of 5 and 4 stairs so I was curious how to connect them. Is it as easy as connecting them with a couple of 2x4's or is there a better way? Also, I have the angle braces to attach them at the top, but what's the best way to attach them to the deck floor at the bottom? Thanks in advance for your advice!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-09, 06:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Build your own. Scabbing the shorter ones won't give good results. If your problem is marking them, buy one of the 4 step stringers and use it as a template, cut the lines with a circular saw and finish with either a recip or jig saw. Don't overcut them. Make them out of 2x12, not 2x10 as you will find out Orange and Blue do.
Does your water level change? Ours does when they let the lake down in the winter to compensate for snow melt in the spring, so ours have to float or they will tear from their moorings. You can use strap hinges on both ends, surface mounted to allow for movement.

Old 03-16-09, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Chandler! This is one of a several sets of stairs on the way down to the dock, but this is not the bottom one so I don't need to worry about the level changing. I'll give it a shot cutting the stringers. I'm probably lazier than I am incompetent, but if cutting the stringers myself will yield better results then I'll give it a shot. Thanks again!

Old 03-17-09, 06:37 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Stringers

If the stringers you are replacing were custom cut, you may need to use one of them as a pattern if the rise and/or run is different than the pre-cut ones at Big Box.

Old 03-17-09, 04:20 PM
Good call, Ken. I was thinking "standard" and dock steps tend to be shallower.

Old 03-18-09, 06:40 AM
Stringers

Yes, I was thinking the rise and run may be non-standard if the stringer has to fit into a specific space. I use a set of these attached to my framing square to cut stringers. Using them sure makes the layout a lot easier:

What is it?

I am referring to the top photo only.

Old 03-18-09, 05:19 PM
Dontcha love 'em!!! Poor guy who invented them probably got squat for the idea.

Old 03-20-09, 06:12 AM
Stops

I sure do! My greatest fear is not being able to find them when needed. Have a great summer!