Help enclosing my screened in porch

Old 03-26-09, 02:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help enclosing my screened in porch

I have a screened in porch on a concrete slab with a finished roof. I want to enclose the porch to make a fourth bedroom. at the same time i am planning to put in new windows in the entire house and re-side the house. It currently has 1969 storm windows and asbestos siding. The porch is three steps lower than the house so i will want to raise the floor above the slab to be level witht he rest of the house.

I am looking for basic steps to accomplishing this task. What should i do first, second, third. And other helpful advice like what thickness for plywood, do i need to use treated screws or nails on the exteriro plywood?

I have some skill, but most of it is self taught in my free time. I am hoping to avoid making any large mistakes by doing something out of proper order.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-09, 03:31 PM
Received 29 Votes on 27 Posts
Hi MerlinX, I'll try to get you started. As one who get called to bail people out of bad starts, lets start at the beginning. Now you may have this all taken care of, but different cities/town have different rules. Determine if a permit is needed to add on living space. It usually is. Describe what you want to do and have the building inspector provide you with the steps to follow. Some will require drawings with electrical, foundation, framing, in full detail. Omitting this process can get them very upset and I have seen them require everything to be pulled out. Plus any future inspections may find non-permitted work and that creates insurance and other problems.

Next, take some pictures of what you have, roofline, foundation, and we will help you through the construction process.

Good luck,
Bud

Old 03-26-09, 03:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The first thing you need to do is find out if there is a footing under the existing slab. I do not think you will find one. If there is no footing you will need to underpin the slab to whatever depth your area requires.

After the slab is complete you can build knee walls inside the room up against the outside wall where you can rest new joist. On the inside wall you should be able to rest on the existing sill plate after removing the ribbon (band) board. Use treated plates for contact with the concrete. I would use 2x10 for the joist unless the span is more than 16'. If your existing joist are smaller or larger you can use the same size, make sure to put a knee wall at mid point if they are smaller than 2x10. Use a laser or optical level and make sure the new floor will match the height of your existing floor.

Use 3/4" Advantech for the floor sheathing. Glue the floor sheathing down and screw or nail it. If you use nails get spiral shank nails so they will hold better.

I hope this helps.

Bill