Wheel Chair Ramp

Old 04-01-09, 04:54 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool Wheel Chair Ramp

Need to know how to build the correct slop for a wheel chair ramp so it's not too steep.

Any drawings or formula for this?

Thanks,
Duke of ....

Old 04-01-09, 05:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
There's a lot of info if you Google: ADA wheelchair ramp specifications

You might not find a set of plans but there are plenty of guidelines as far as slope, rise, widths, etc.

Old 04-01-09, 06:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Slop(e) should be 1"in 12" to satisfy the ADA. Sometimes it requires landings and turns in order to keep the ramp in the same county.

Old 04-01-09, 08:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Originally Posted by chandler
...in order to keep the ramp in the same county.
or time zone.

Old 08-13-11, 02:23 PM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
the simplest way is to figure 1 inch per foot 2 feet is 24 inches so your ramp should be 24 feetyou can start straight to the ramp from the area where building or build a landing to start it can be strait or in any configuration that fits you area it is only required to have a 4 ft x 4 ft landing aka rest point every 10 feet i build all mine 4 feet wide top to bottom

Old 08-13-11, 02:30 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If it is for a family member make it as level as possible (not steep) and the ADA standards are too steep unless there is some additional person to aid.

I was in the hospital and in a wheel chair and even there, some hallways were to steep. I had to get help to wheel myself to the McDonald's on the ground floor for real food. - If you have not been in a wheel chair you cannot understand.

Dick

Old 08-13-11, 02:55 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I built my first ramp for an injured puppy we love who could no longer manage the steps. What I learned is in line with what Dick posted, the ADA slope is next to impossible for able bodied people to walk when wet or ice. Even our other 4-wheel drive dogs had to be rescued when the ice was bad. And I did a couple of those back twisters and ended up shifting the ramp over so I could use the steps under it.

Some good slip resistant paint might help when wet, but the ice is still a bugger.

Bud

Old 08-13-11, 03:16 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
my 2 cents

About 3 yrs ago I built a ramp for some friends but their budget and the room available wouldn't allow me to build it to ADA standards. The ramp was approximately a 1.5" pitch. I put anti-slip strips about 1 foot apart. Last time I was over there it looked like those strips should be replaced. The ramp has worked out real well for them. There are 2 in that family that use a wheelchair, 1 of them weighs over 300 lbs. They have been real happy with the ramp although their son did fall once when it was covered with ice

I probably should add that the 2 disabled people don't use the ramp everyday and try not to go out in inclement weather. We also don't get as much snow as those who live further north.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: