Notching 6x6 posts

Old 04-07-09, 11:22 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Notching 6x6 posts

I am planning on building a deck about 10 feet off the ground. In my area the beams must be supported by notching the posts.

Since I will be using dual 2x10 as beams the notch needs to be 3'' deep. My circular saw will only handle about 21/4".

How do the pro's make this cut,chain saw, reciprocating saw or by hand? The size of my deck is large it will require many of theses cuts.

Thank for your help.

Old 04-07-09, 11:47 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
They make a 10 inch circular saw. If you get all of your work laid out, you might be able to get by with half a days rental. Assuming they have one to rent in your area.

Chain saw would look terrible. Saws all, slow. By hand, hammer and chisel, you could brag about it for the next 20 years.

Check the rental shops, definitely the way to go.
Bud

Old 04-07-09, 02:58 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Notching

Cutting a 3" deep notch will remove more material than will be left, weakening the lumber.

Old 04-07-09, 04:27 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would make the cut with the circular saw then finish with recip saw or hand saw and chisels. You may be able to notch one half the beam into one side of the post then the other half on the other side. Some building inspectors do not allow that, but that is how I prefer to do it, I think it looks better and have never had one fail.

Bill

Old 04-07-09, 05:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I agree with Ken, the 3" cut is over half way, and will weaken the lumber. Cutting at the max depth of your circle saw is sufficient and will look more uniform. I do mine by making the first cut, last cut, then repetitive cuts between. All it takes then is a snap of a chisel and a little clean out. Drill through the middle and install them with carriage bolts.

Old 04-11-09, 08:48 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You are dealing with an "old school" building dept., so trying to convince them that using a Simpsom PB connector is stronger than notching the post will be a waste of your time. Sorry to hear that they are requiring you to use such a weak joint.

Make the notch as deep as your 7-1/4" Skil saw will cut (about 1-3/4"), clean out the notch and lay your dbl 2X beam in that. That's as strong as you can possibly make it. A notch any deeper than that will weaken the post by more than you might be gaining in beam strength.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: