Trex minimum spacing

Old 04-11-09, 05:50 PM
L
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trex minimum spacing

Hi,

I'm new to the site and it seems there are quite a few knowledgeable people here about all types of decking so...

I need to know whether I'll be alright with a 3/16" gap between Trex deck boards. I know that Trex is now suggesting 1/4" but to me that is a little much plus I have 3/16" plastic spacers I was going to use. Someone had posted that Trex used to use 3/16" as the spacing but upped it to 1/4" probably to be on the safe side.

I'll be installing the decking in 60 + degrees weather. The deck is mostly in full sun all the time and all decking is over 2 feet from the ground.

Thanks!

Old 04-11-09, 09:21 PM
L
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
luckyj,

Welcome to the forums.

You're right, Trex is going to tell you to use a 1/4" gap minimum between the board sides. They are also going to tell you to use a 1/8" end gap.

As long as you are installing the boards when the temp is 60 degrees plus in the morning, and as long as it will never go over about 105 degrees on the hottest summer afternoon, you should be fine with a 3/16" gap. Don't cheat on the end gap though. make sure that it's 1/8".

Old 04-11-09, 10:03 PM
L
Thank you Lefty....

One other question...I had read some posts about Trex possibly sagging with 16" OC joists. I have never seen this with any composite decks I've been on that have 16" spacing so I don't know how big a problem it is but should I consider decreasing the spacing? I'll be using 5/4 Trex Accents.

I know that if running decking on a diagonal you have to space at 12" but should I even worry about doing this with a normal layout?

Thanks

Old 04-11-09, 10:11 PM
L
luckyj,

I have installed several MILES of 5/4 Trex around the greater Redding area on joists spaced at 16" and have yet to have a complaint about the boards sagging. (FYI, summer temps in Redding are about the same as they are in Phoenix AZ and Las Vegas NV, except on those days when we hotter than they are!!)

Old 04-11-09, 10:29 PM
L
Lefty,

Thanks again....But you probably shouldn't have given up how experienced you are with Trex as I've now targeted you as my go-to answer guy for any problems I might have!

But seriously, I really appreciate all your advice, quick responses & info.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-12-09, 12:52 PM
L
Don't be shy about asking questions about Trex, or any other decking that I have dealt with. You'll get MY opinion, and I'm sure there will others who will disagree with THAT!

Personally, I wouldn't use Trex. I mentioned that I have installed literally MILES of it. What I didn't mention was that was mostly warranty work for them a couple of years ago. They had MAJOR issues with the product that they were producing from about mid '03 until mid to late '06. They say they've cured the problems, but a couple of those which I replaced are starting to show some of the same problems.

Old 04-12-09, 02:59 PM
G
I put down a bunch in '05. 1. Did they get all the end of board thickness the same yet? We had butt joints with 1/8 inch diff. in height. 2. Then they use a summer gauge and winter (5/16"). Be safe, GBR

Old 04-12-09, 05:34 PM
L
Lefty...

I had a smaller deck done with Trex as part of a renovation about 8 years ago. Besides some overall fading (which was expected...not that bad though the deck has a Southern exposure & full day sun) it has lasted great and remained in excellent condition. I have checked it for problems and there are none except for some slight scratches in small areas due to a chair or bench being slid across it.

Is there anything with the Trex I should be looking for re the problems you mention?....I have read about the spotting and mold problems so I know about watching for that.

Old 04-12-09, 05:48 PM
G
No, I was asking if others had any of my problems since '05. I know it has a bad reputation, if you do research. You have to maintain a good air space under it, and it does mold easily because of the ingredients and sun bleach sporadically. With all the other choices out there, I would think twice, or more. Be safe, GBR

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: