Pressure Treated Wood - Staining

Old 04-14-09, 01:48 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pressure Treated Wood - Staining

I need to stain/paint a weathered swing set. The entire thing is made of pressure treated wood. I assume I need to sand or clean the wood prior to staining. What is the best way to prepare the wood for the stain.

Old 04-14-09, 02:08 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
Generally on PT wood you will wash it down, let it dry and then stain. Since it's a swing, sanding might be better. Basically you need to make sure the wood is clean and any weathered glaze is knocked off of the wood. A deck stain might wear better on a swing than a siding stain. As always you will find the better coatings at your local paint store [not dept]

Old 04-14-09, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Either something like an oxalic acid solution (sometimes called wood bleach) and a stiff brush, which will remove MOST of the weathered surface wood fibers, or a pressure washer with a fan tip (need to be careful not to damage/gouge the wood). It will need to dry for a minimum of several days, depending on the weather.

You will still probably need to do some light hand sanding...no matter what you do.

Old 04-14-09, 03:33 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just to clarify this is a childs swing set. So it is rather large not easilly maneuvered and a lot of surface area. Is sanding alone the incorrect way to do? Any concern with the chemicals in the wood while sanding.

Old 04-15-09, 05:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
Generally washing with a bleach/water solution or one of the commercially prepared cleaners and then rinsing [either garden hose or pressure washer] is how pt wood is prepped for paint/stain. I thought that sanding might be a good idea since their is hand and body contact with the wood - no splinters. Sanding without cleaning would still [more than likely] clean the wood good enough to apply the stain.

There are chemicals that can be released when cutting, sanding and even handling new pt, I don't know if this is still a concern after the pt wood has weathered.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: