finish nail for tongue and groove porch?

Old 04-24-09, 09:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
finish nail for tongue and groove porch?

I'm looking for the right fastener to use on my 1x4 tongue and groove pt pine porch. I figured 8d 2 1/2" galvanized ring shank finish nails would be ideal, but I can't find them at local stores (HD, Lowes). There are galvanized finish but no ring shank, galvanized ring shank but not a finish nail, finish ring shank but brite not galvanized. I assume this means the pros don't think it's useful/necessary. I know I need galvanized for the pt (ACQ I think?). I know ring shank would be ideal since it's flooring and I'm installing on old joists which aren't as level/solid as they used to be. And I think the finish head is necessary to allow the tongue and groove to join fully.

Of course I'm a rookie and I buy everything as I go so I like to avoid the shipping delay of ordering online, if possible. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-09, 12:48 PM
If you are planning on face nailing an 8d galvanized casing nail would do the trick. If you are going to blind nail a 6d galvanized casing would work. If the porch gets a lot of sun and a lot of moisture you might want to consider a stainless trim head screw.

Old 04-24-09, 02:42 PM
A trim head stainless screw is a good idea I hadn't thought of.
And you're right a casing nail is probably more appropriate than a finish nail, but I still haven't found that with both galvanized finish and ring shank. Maybe I can find that in stainless ring shank, though I thought the galvanized finish would hold better than stainless. I also assume the stainless nail will drive up my cost. Thanks for the input.

If anyone else knows where to get 8d galvanized ring shank casing/finish nails, I'd love to hear it.

Old 04-24-09, 03:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Use a finish nail gun and run 15 gauge 2 1/2" galvanized nails in the top of the tongue at an angle. You will beat yourself to death using 8d nails. They are too big anyway. If you don't have a nailer, you could rent one and have the job done in no time.

Old 04-24-09, 04:56 PM
If you use 8d hot dipped galvanized finish nails they will hold well. I did a mahogany porch with them a few months ago and they held very well. They will also hold up to ACQ material. If you go with a nail gun you should use stainless nails or staples because the galvanized nails and staples for guns are electro-galvanized and are not rated for ACQ. I doubt you will find ring shank finish nails in either style, and full head nails will be a major pain when nailing the ends of boards (splits).

Bill

Old 04-24-09, 06:33 PM
The galvanized nails I use for my Dewalt 15 gauge nailer are rated for ACQ.

Old 04-25-09, 04:55 AM
Hi Chandler, I'll have to check them out. I use Senco and have not found anything but stainless for it. Where did you get them? If they are the correct angle I might be able to use them in my guns.

Bill

Old 04-25-09, 05:30 AM
Nope, I've not found any for my Senco, either. The ones I use are made by Paslode. The angle is not compatible for Senco, sorry. Where do you find the stainless?

Old 04-25-09, 02:11 PM
Senco sells stainless but they are outrageous. I get an off brand from a guy around here who I've bought nails and guns from for 20 years.

Bill

Old 04-25-09, 04:53 PM
I lucked into a guy who sells nails on Ebay. You KNOW the shipping would be horrible! He lives 7 miles from me. No one else can afford to bid as high as I do due to the cost of the shipping. Brings them back to retail for those guys. I bid $10 and usually win for boxes of my Bostitch framing nails. Neat.

Old 04-27-09, 08:23 AM
I finally found the nails I was looking for in 5lb boxes (8d, galv, ring shank, casing) but your comments (and a long weekend framing with a hammer) have me leaning towards a nail gun. I see you all are leaning to smaller gauge nails. I got the idea of using 8d from this website...

Guide to Porch Flooring and Construction | Southern Pine Council™ | 1-504-443-4464

I also lean towards the larger gauge and ring shank because the remaining old joists are old cedar...still in good shape but probably won't hold as well as the new joists.

I did find the stainless trim head screws for 4x the price of nails, no thanks. Thanks to all for the input.