I cant use footings, any ideas

Old 05-12-09, 08:30 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I cant use footings, any ideas

I really need to build a deck off the side door of my house. it almost has a trailer look to it from that side due to the fact that the door is 3 ft off the ground with nothing but an old set of steps there. my problem is the previous owners put in a new septic field and it comes to within about 5 feet of the house. I'm told its not burried very deep, so any footings are out of the question. is there ANY other way to support a deck? any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated. thank you

Old 05-12-09, 09:17 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Just a thought. If you don't attach the deck to the house, you can, if approved in your area, float the deck on pads. It should be anchored somewhere, per code, but it will go up and down with the frost. You'll need more details, but that is the idea.

Bud

Old 05-13-09, 11:21 AM
concrete piles that go through the bad soil to good bearing capacity soil?

Old 05-13-09, 03:04 PM
G
As you can not build over the drainfield, or set anything on the dirt, or pour a slab, are the floor joists running towards and away from the door? Possibly cantilever a deck, wide enough to clear the field, and put in stairs. Be safe, G

Old 05-13-09, 07:56 PM
my problem is the previous owners put in a new septic field and it comes to within about 5 feet of the house.
Can't see how that was approved what so ever. Been installing septics and the septic tanks not even allowed that close to a house.

Are you sure you have this right and its not the septic tank thats 5' from the house???

If so there a chance here...

Look for a pipe(S) out of the ground. Run a 8' rod into it ans see if it goes in easy and comes out black.

Normal drain fields are only buried around 3' depending on the GEO

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: