Cleaning a TREX deck

Old 05-17-09, 11:03 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cleaning a TREX deck

I've heard that I shouldn't pressure wash my trex deck. Would void the warranty?

What's the best was to clean a trex deck? Mine had mildew and mold stains, among others. Its 9 years old and hasnt been cleaned at least since I've owned it (4 years).

Found something called Corte Clean so far.

Any better options?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-09, 03:02 AM
S
I have a 4 yr old Trex deck that has worked well for me. The material is too soft for a DIY pressure washer. I tried it, but found I really didn't need it. I ended up just making a solution of water, bleach, Jomax, and dish soup. I prewet the area, swabbed the boards with a mop (a few strokes) then hosed off. Go down each board, don't do an area. I had some green algae, took it right off. Mold is another matter. There's alot of talk about Trex and mold. My take is this....mold needs organic material to get nourishment from, along with rainwater. I personally don't think the Trex is providing it, it's 99% recycled "plastic". If leaves and dust stay on the deck, that would foster mold. Either way, the bleach component would kill it. Not too strong though.

Old 06-01-09, 05:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
I'd mix up a bleach/water solution [never stronger than 50% bleach] and apply it with a pump up garden sprayer, let it set but not dry and then rinse. You could add detergent to the mix if needed. On stubborn areas I'd respray and scrub with an old broom.

Should be as effective as srercrcr's method but maybe a little less work

Old 06-01-09, 01:53 PM
S
Try it out. I use that method when I pressure wash the house siding. For the deck I figured since its horizontal it could use a little swabbing. Good cleaning!!