Protecting new untreated pine picnic table

Old 06-08-09, 08:37 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Protecting new untreated pine picnic table

I picked up a untreated spruce picnic table kit. Went together great and fits my needs perfectly. But I would like to find a way to protect it to avoid it turning into a cracked mess of splinters as long as possible.

Some people suggested deck stain. Sounds like it would have to be reapplied every 2-3 years. Is this enough to protect untreated pine? All the information i can find is about using it on treated wood so it's hard to tell what happens on untreated wood.

Another suggestion was a polyurethan topcoat. however if i also want to stain first i'm unsure if i can use any stain and then paint on a poly layer or if i have to use a special stain taht is compatable. OR some 'stains' seem to imply they also include a polyurethan layer built in but they are vague.

can anyone give me any pointers? I won't have access to spraying equipment. this will all be done with brushes.

Old 06-08-09, 09:21 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
For the same reason we put paint on the bare wood on the houses we live in, I'd paint the table. It will need freshening up once in a great while cause its out in the sun and rain and is horizontal for the most part...tough conditions.

Old 06-08-09, 11:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Paint will probably wear and protect the best. Be sure to use an oil base wood primer, latex is fine for top coats.

Deck stains will help protect the wood but not as well as a thicker coating like paint or poly.

It can be stained and polyurathaned like interior wood. It would be best to use a spar poly like minwax's helmsman. It will need periodic sanding and recoating, possibly yearly.

No matter what type of coating you put on the wood it will need to be redone every so often. A lot depends on what type of weather it's exposed to. While paint usually gives the longest lived protection, there is a big difference beteen any coating on a horizontal surface versus a vertical surface. The table will likely be exposed to more sun and moisture than siding will.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: