Post railing attachment method

Old 06-09-09, 11:30 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post railing attachment method

I am building a deck and planning on using Fiberon Premium decking (formerly Weatherbest). Their post/railing system requires using a 4x4 sleeve. I am debating on how to attach the posts. If I go bolt through from the outside of the rim, it will be hard to use the fascia to make it look clean. If I do it on the inside, I have problems with the several 45 corners that have 3 joists meeting there. I don't know if I can do a surface mount to the joists, but maybe that would not be strong enough?

Any good ideas?

Old 06-09-09, 09:45 PM
L
Don't mount the posts on the outside of the facia board. Mount them inside the facia, at the corner formed by the joist and the facia, and thru-bolt them to both members.

When you come to a 45 degree corner, there are 2 ways to deal with it. One is to use two posts -- each oriented square to the facia it is attached to. Place the posts close enough together so that the space between them is less than a 4" opening. The other is set posts a foot or so on either side of the corner, square to the respective facia, and the add a small section of railing between the posts. I don't know of any mafgr. that makes hardware to attach the rails at anything other than a 90 degree corner.

Old 06-12-09, 08:58 AM
post mounting

you could do a combination of mounting methods...I have done a number of decks were some of the posts are mounted inside the rim joist, but on a short run perpendicular to that I have mounted them to the outside of the rim. This allows a single corner post to be in the corner. I like to use Redwood posts with the Weather best as opposed the the sleeves. for railings i like to use the dekcorators powder coated aluminun baulusters...this reduces the maintanence to just the posts.

When setting the post inside the rim drill a shallow 1 1/2" diameter clearance hole for the bolt head, this will allow the fascia to sit flat against the rim. where the post sits outside the rim the fascia is cut/ notched to accomodate the post.

I rabbit the post base to sit on the decking, so the decking does not need fancy cut outs for the posts. I drill four holes and cut out a square plug with a jig saw after the decking is down

I can send a pic if this is not clear

Old 06-12-09, 10:16 AM
B
upon closer inspection, I am thinking I might be able to mount the posts in the closest joist pocket. One side of the railing will meet the post like normal, the other side would have to joint it at a 45 deg angle. Seems like it should work.

Man, this Fiberon Premium grain (Weatherbest) is expensive. I'm halfway considering just going with PT for the whole thing and be done with it at 1/3 the cost.

Old 06-12-09, 11:47 AM
S
No, give up yet. Some things are worth the money.

I notched my 6X6 cedar posts to sit on the joists (and installed the Trex right up to the painted post with caulk) and ran two 1/2 inch carriage bolts with std washers thru thw post/joist intersection.. All seemed fine til the railing started loosening. I tightened the nuts but it seems like its just digging into the cedar. So after a few years I've installed larger washers, like 1 1/2 inches wide. The idea is maybe being so large they won't dig as easy. Seems better but too soon for the verdict. Anybody have a better solution?

Old 06-12-09, 06:23 PM
carriage bolts...

one of the problems with carriage bolts is over time when you need to tighten them they often spin. there are some special washers available that have spikes on the back side and they dig in. the normal round hole is square to match the nut like back of the carriage bolt. I mostly use 1/2" hex bolts mounted through the joist so if a fascia is install you can still snug them down later

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: