Redwood deck

Old 07-01-09, 07:59 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Redwood deck

I have a job to bring a redwood deck up to code. I've done a lot of decks but none were redwood. The main portion of the job is to rebuild about 120' of railing. The balusters are over a foot apart when they should be 6" on center plus the railing is only 30" high when it should be 36. I can set blocks on top of the current railing to the with 2x4s on top of them to correct the height. I also have to add some missing railings on 2 sets of stairs.

What can I expect as far as price difference goes compared to pressure treated? I never saw redwood at Home Cheapo. I guess I'll have to go to a lumber yard.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-09, 08:12 PM
Pulpo,

First off, where are you at?? Redwood can be had in CA, and within a few hundred miles or so from any of our borders. Much farther away from the north coast of CA, where it grows, you're probably not going to find it. Of course, if the deck that you're repairing is redwood, then you can probably get it.

Cost is going to depend on the grade that you get. Haven't checked in the past 6 months or so, but at that time a con common 2X6 was running about $1.50 per lin. ft. Con Heart started at about twice that, and the better grade you selected was priced accordingly.

Better check your local codes as well. Around here guardrails have to be 42" high, grippable handrail (ADA approved) is set at 36" above the nose of the tread, and the space between the balusters has to be less than 4" (Code defines it as being such that a 4" ball cannot be passed through it.)

Old 07-01-09, 08:23 PM
Temporarily Suspended
The repair job is based on an archetect's plans, so all the codes are correct, 36" railings & 4" space between balusters. I'm in NY which is quite far from Nothern California. The deck is redood, so I have to use the same but top grade isn't needed.

I check the local prices in the morning.

Thanks for the quick response.

Old 07-01-09, 08:47 PM
That 4" is under the rail assembly as well, you can't lift it more then 3-7/8" up. Here is a quick chart but use the A's plans, note the gripable handrail on stairs, as lefty said, and 6" at riser/tread/handrail triangle. http://www.stairways.org/pdf/2006%20...C%20SCREEN.pdf
Be safe, G

Old 07-02-09, 05:31 AM
Pulpo,

You can GET the redwood, but be sitting down when they quote you a price! You'll be paying for about 3,000 miles of freight, as well as the cost of the product.

I question some of the items that this architect is calling for, but that's another thread. Obviously you are simply taking your information off of the plans at this point.

Old 07-02-09, 06:13 AM
Temporarily Suspended
That's correct, I haven't called the architect yet. It was the owner who specified that it should be redwood. I'm not going to order anything until I have all the information, which I should have in a few hours.

Old 07-02-09, 09:48 AM
I'm predicting this job will never get off the ground.

Old 07-02-09, 11:35 AM
Temporarily Suspended
srercrcr: Do you read palms as well? There is money in escrow & an attorney pushing for the job to be done. Spray some glass cleaner on your crystal ball.

lefty: I talked to 3 suppliers. 2 of them said they would have to make a series of calls & the 3rd said there is 0 availability of redwood. The price would probably be sky high. The architect has "treated wood decking" on the plan, not redwood. I'm waiting to hear from him now.

Edit: I just spoke to the architect. He had no idea if the deck were true redwood or not. I told him that I was going to tell the owner that buying redwood will cost more than what's in the escrow & he'll have to enter a claim for more or pay the difference himself, if he still wants it.

Last edited by Pulpo; 07-02-09 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-02-09, 04:04 PM
Temporarily Suspended
The outcome is the owner agreed to the use of pressure treated wood & he is calling the lawyer to get the money.

Thanks.

Old 07-03-09, 02:20 AM
I called it. My crystals balls have good intuition....aka street sense.

Old 07-03-09, 11:37 AM
Temporarily Suspended
What did you call? The job is going to be done. You said that it will never get off the ground.

Old 07-03-09, 06:19 PM
"The deck is redwood, so I have to use the same but top grade isn't needed." Nuff said.

Old 07-03-09, 07:05 PM
Temporarily Suspended
That's right, 'nuff said. It didn't make any sense.

Old 07-14-09, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by Pulpo View Post
I have a job to bring a redwood deck up to code. I've done a lot of decks but none were redwood. The main portion of the job is to rebuild about 120' of railing. The balusters are over a foot apart when they should be 6" on center plus the railing is only 30" high when it should be 36. I can set blocks on top of the current railing to the with 2x4s on top of them to correct the height. I also have to add some missing railings on 2 sets of stairs.

What can I expect as far as price difference goes compared to pressure treated? I never saw redwood at Home Cheapo. I guess I'll have to go to a lumber yard.
As mentioned in earlier posts, depending on the grade and your location, redwood could be 2 to 3 times more expensive than pressur treated. Your balusters spacind at 6" OC is OK only if the balusters are wider than 1-1/2" to maintain a maximum 4" diameter ball pass through. The other issue is the "rail support posts". which on old decks become loose. "Simpson" have a new metal bracket which attaches to the joist and bolts through the post to give support. The stair railing needs to be 34" to 38" above the nose of the tread and the baluster requirements are the same.

Old 07-14-09, 03:07 PM
Temporarily Suspended
The job is almost done. Only the railing is left. It should be completed tomorrow. Redwood was eliminated once I told the owner it would be triple the cost. The code for the balusters here is 6 OC & the railing height is 3'.