Problem replacing deck rail

Old 07-23-09, 09:56 AM
SBI
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem replacing deck rail

Hello,

I am replacing my back porch rail, and the rail in the longest part (post to post) is 103" long.
I checked in HD and Lowes and found that all the rails they sell are max. 8 ft. long.
Any idea how to overcome this?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-09, 10:43 AM
have you tried a local lumber yard? I have found in the past that when I'm looking for materials for a project the local lumber yard typically has better qualilty material and in longer lengths.

good luck

Old 07-23-09, 02:42 PM
What kind of railing? Composite, vinyl, wood, ...???

Old 07-24-09, 09:00 AM
SBI
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
What kind of railing? Composite, vinyl, wood, ...???
I was hoping PT. I checked a local lumber yard, they have fir railing, kind'a on the expensive side ($2.19 a foot, I need 40 ft).

Old 07-24-09, 09:24 AM
SBI,

OK -- it's wood. Does it have some shape that makes it unique? If so, can you post a picture of it?

Most wood railings that I have built have just used a 2X4 or 2X6 for the bottom rail. That's because that is the shape available around here in redwood for that application. (I certainly wouldn't be selecting some sort of fir or pine interior trim piece to use on a deck rail!!)

Old 07-24-09, 03:59 PM
SBI
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
SBI,

OK -- it's wood. Does it have some shape that makes it unique? If so, can you post a picture of it?

Most wood railings that I have built have just used a 2X4 or 2X6 for the bottom rail. That's because that is the shape available around here in redwood for that application. (I certainly wouldn't be selecting some sort of fir or pine interior trim piece to use on a deck rail!!)
Right now it doesn't have anything, we demolished the old rotten rail
But it definitely had some kind of a "style" to it and the fir I saw today was without a doubt a rail, it wasn't an interior trim. Very similar to the rail you can buy at HD/Lowes (shape wise), it's just that the it is too short.

Old 07-24-09, 04:10 PM
If you found one at a lumberyard that will work and you can get it in something longer than an 8' length like you need, then go for it.

The $2.19/ft. that you mentioned isn't all that bad. It's clear fir, and it's deck railing. NEITHER of those two items are going to be cheap.