Deck Stain Drying Time??

Old 07-23-09, 12:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck Stain Drying Time??

How long should a deck stain dry before it rains? The stain is solid, water based, BM brand - it says 48 hours to 'hard dry'. Does it need this long?

I really want to stain this weekend, and there's a 10% chance of rain Saturday, but 30% change on Sunday night... could I get by if I'm finished staining by early afternoon on Saturday?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-09, 04:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
There are a lot of factors involved in how long it takes to dry. Dry porous wood will suck up the stain and dry quicker than newer or somewhat sealed wood. Sun shine will promote faster drying than shade or cloudy. While oil base stains take longer to dry than latex, they are less affected by rain that comes too soon than latex stains are. Some of the waterborne stains can be affected by a hard rain 24 hrs later.

Sometimes you just have to take a chance and hope for the best.

Old 07-27-09, 07:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It rained...

I stained the railings on Saturday, and finished around 2:30 p.m. Sunday it poured raining around 3:15 p.m.

Some of the areas on the horizontal boards seem like the old stain is showing through where I'm sure it wasn't before - I suspect the rain sat on it and thinned it out. Is it possible for me to 'touch up' these spots without causing the stain to eventually peel, or just leave it alone?

Old 07-27-09, 05:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
You should be ok to recoat them. Does the label give any info on recoat times? Some stains must be recoated within a certain time frame [usually 2 hrs or so] If it's that type of stain, I'd either leave as is or scuff sand it before recoating. The other types of stain shouldn't have any issues with recoating.