Is my Lattice Patio Cover Ledger strong enough

Old 07-27-09, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is my Lattice Patio Cover Ledger strong enough

I am in the process of building a non load bearing latice 24' x 10' wood patio cover, and have a question about the 2" x 10" x 25' ledger attached to my house(stucco).

I pulled the city permit, and they require 3/8" x 5" lag screws at studs 32" oc.

So I found a stud by cutting into the stucco, and then drilled out the ledger, for 1/2" lag screws , and put 2 at every 32"(about 5" apart vertically), alinged vertically, predrilling the studs. I overengineered it a bit by using twice as many lags as required and bigger lags but wanted it to be sturdy.

When I went to install the lags I realized that all of my lower lags hit the studs, but was missing a few on the upper row. What I later realized, is the top row of lags is on a different stud alignment because my house is 2 story, and the Ledger spans between my first and second floor - I drilled a number of extra holes in the ledger but could not pick up a consistant stud spacing on the second level so I decided to keep the original holes. Based upon my original set of holes, I probably hit 5 of the 10 studs on the upper row(most likely studs not evenly spaced due to windows and doors,) and then like I said, hit all 10 of the studs on the lower level.

I have continued building the cover and its about 75% done and have had no problem, but am wondering if this will pose a problem later. From a permit standpoint, I believe I am compliant because my bottom row hit every stud at 32" on center, and I also used bigger lags than required, but the lags are on the lower edge of the ledger and not centered vertically on the 10" ledger board , so I am wondering about the load pulling down from the top edge of the ledger, which is how my rafters tied in(The brackets that hang of the top edge of the ledger).

So my question for all the patio cover contractors is if you think I should be okay since most of my lags have hit studs(15 of the 20) and I used more than I really needed anyways. I don't think the inspector will notice anything either at the final but don't want to run into any problems.

If i do need to fix it now, any ideas on an easy way to do so.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

mh

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-09, 12:43 PM
Handyone1969,

Welcome to the forums.

You have an approved set of plans in your hands -- what do they say about PLACEMENT of the lag bolts. You mentioned 3/8 X 5's at 32" OC., and you went with 1/2 X 5's. That shouldn't be a problem. But does the plan specify WHERE in the legder (how far from either the top edge or bottom edge) the bolts need to be?? Does it call for a staggered pattern (one high, the next one low, etc.)??

If nothing like those items are spelled out or called for, you should be fine.

Old 07-28-09, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
Handyone1969,

Welcome to the forums.

You have an approved set of plans in your hands -- what do they say about PLACEMENT of the lag bolts. You mentioned 3/8 X 5's at 32" OC., and you went with 1/2 X 5's. That shouldn't be a problem. But does the plan specify WHERE in the legder (how far from either the top edge or bottom edge) the bolts need to be?? Does it call for a staggered pattern (one high, the next one low, etc.)??

If nothing like those items are spelled out or called for, you should be fine.
The city plans dont specify where the lags should be placed or any pattern but does show a picture as an example showing one lag going through near the top of the ledger(But no measurements are given at all) so i think I should be okay.
I am more concerned that it is not as structurally sound with the lags being placed near the bottom. I think I will be fine for final approval, and then I'll just watch it over time to see if it moves at all, and if it does, I will add more lags(But that will look sloppier).

Thanks,
Michael

Old 07-28-09, 06:17 PM
Add some to keep the ledger from tipping-pulling away at the top. They should always be staggered, top, bottom, etc. Find the new layout measuring next to an upstairs window inside for the layout. Remember the window may not be on the walk stud lauout. Use a small magnet or stud finder to locate the studs. Be safe, G