Must I wash new deck before 1st seal?

Old 08-05-09, 05:20 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Must I wash new deck before 1st seal?

New pressure treated pine deck is about 5 weeks old. Ready for first seal. Have heard / read that it should be pressure washed first.

Is there a reason that is must be pressure washed first? It is still spotless and I can't find anyone I trust to pressure wash it.

(I just had my fence washed by the supposedly the best wood restoring co. around and they furred / ruined it. So now I am terrified someone will ruin my new deck. And that was after months of research, talking to companies etc. ugh)

- Are there gentler cleaning alternatives to pressure washing that wouldn't rough up the surface?

- Can I just apply my oil based sealer now, and then pressure wash for the first time in 2 years and then reseal?

(I am not physically able to wash & seal, so I have to hire out.)

Thank you for your help.

Old 08-06-09, 04:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
Has the PT wood dried sufficently from the PT process? Generally it's best to wait 3-6 months before applying any coating. If the wood is still wet it can cause issues with the stain/sealer.

Wood doesn't need to be pressure washed but it does need to be clean. A cleaning agent and a water hose is sufficent. A pressure washer just makes it easier/quicker. Obviously the person who did your fence used too much pressure, he may have relied on the PWer alone to clean the fence.

If the wood has started to grey, it's best to clean but if the wood is clean and dry - you can apply a coating with out washing it first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: