Anchoring Posts on Concrete Sidewalk

Old 09-01-09, 06:25 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Anchoring Posts on Concrete Sidewalk

I am installing a new wooden railing on an existing concrete sidewalk and concrete steps. My problem is that I cannot figure out how to anchor the 4x4 posts to the concrete with out them wobbling. I went to Home Depot and they gave me the metal anchor plate and told me to use a sleeve anchor. I attached the plate with one anchor in the middle and then attached the post with 6 screws as pictured. It wobbled like crazy so I then used 4 tapcons in the outer holes to add further stability. It still wobbles but not as much but enough that it doesn't feel safe.

Someone please tell me how I cannot attach the post to the concrete while making it stable.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-09, 06:31 PM
D
Here are the pics of what I have:

Old 09-01-09, 11:15 PM
L
You don't stand a snowball's chance of getting a BC40 to work in that application.

Best thing would be to core drill and set a pipe in the concrete so that it has about a foot exposed. Drill a slightly larger hole in the bottom of the post. Slip the post over the pipe and through bolt it in 2 directions.

If you are going to install railing between these posts, move that one post off of the step and set it on the sidewalk, next to the step.

Old 09-02-09, 09:52 PM
G
I think it's great to put a handrail on those stairs! Read this and notice with your newel posts, usually let into the stair framing and floor for one handrail up (down3" from the very top), and one down- to hold the spindles or pickets. (not both on the lower half)

http://www.stairways.org/pdf/2006%20...C%20SCREEN.pdf
Be safe, G

Old 09-02-09, 10:07 PM
L
Of course GBR thinks it would be great to insatll a handrail on those steps. So do I. You have 4 risers -- code requires a handrail on those steps. The picture is cut off at the top step, but it certainly looks like you could have more than 30" from the upper sidewalk to the grade below at the top of those steps. If that's the case, you also need a GUARDRAIL there. Guardrails are 42" tall under the current IRC.

GBR says "be safe", and I agree. Additionally, BE LEGAL!!