PreservaWood treatment uneven, sticky (help!)

Old 09-09-09, 09:03 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question PreservaWood treatment uneven, sticky (help!)

We need advice for dealing with areas of our covered mahogany deck that we treated with PreservaWood and are still not being absorbed. We cleaned the deck with a 2 in 1 prep, let it dry well, and then began applying the PreservaWood Oil Stain & Sealer (clear, no tint). It was absorbed very quickly by the side of the deck that is most exposed and where the wood is dryer and more worn. But on the areas where the wood was in better condition, it did not absorb in spite of using a thin application and wiping it up as best we could. Now those areas are sticky or tacky and shiney.

PreservaWood advised us to use a stain & varnish remover or acetone with a brush to gum up the excess. This seems extreme and would require covering everything under the deck and surrounding foliage. Plus it will be a lot of work. Is there another way to deal with this problem?

Old 09-09-09, 10:23 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
capelrossi,

Welcome to the forums.

How old is the deck, and has it ever had a sealer put on it prior to this one? How long ago did you apply this PreservaWood?

That it dried more quickly in the more exposed areas seems right. Those same areas would have had the "2 in 1 prep" dry more thoroughly and quicker as well. Those same areas would have had any prior sealer wear off more thoroughly as well, making it easier for this 2 in one stuff to work.

Different areas of the deck have different exposures, and over time they will wear differently. When it comes time to retreat them, you have to deal with different areas differently.

Old 09-10-09, 05:42 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
You might try scrubbing the sticky areas with a rag wet with paint thinner.

Old 09-10-09, 08:44 PM
C
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
You might try scrubbing the sticky areas with a rag wet with paint thinner.
My neighbor who has some experience with decks made a similar suggestion: that we try using a solvent like mineral spirits on a rag or soft brush.

Old 09-10-09, 08:54 PM
C
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
capelrossi,

How old is the deck, and has it ever had a sealer put on it prior to this one? How long ago did you apply this PreservaWood?

That it dried more quickly in the more exposed areas seems right. Those same areas would have had the "2 in 1 prep" dry more thoroughly and quicker as well. Those same areas would have had any prior sealer wear off more thoroughly as well, making it easier for this 2 in one stuff to work.

Different areas of the deck have different exposures, and over time they will wear differently. When it comes time to retreat them, you have to deal with different areas differently.
The deck was here when we arrived, 8+ years ago, and I suspect it was added sometime after the house was built in 1987. It was in very good condition (it's covered), and mostly still okay is except for the areas near the edges that are exposed on the sides. It looks like it had some kind of weather seal on it, like Thompson-type water seal. The areas under a rug near the door and under a large piece of furniture still bead water, and those are mostly the areas that are sticky. It does not appear to have had a stain put on the mahogany decking.

We applied it about a week ago, nearly a week after we finished with the 2 in 1 prep and cleaner.

What you say about treating the different areas differently makes sense. This is certainly what we'll do for the other half which we haven't treated yet. We'll do smaller sections at a time and wait to see how it's absorbing after wiping it.

Thank you for welcoming me to this forum. Bear with me while I learn the rules about quoting, etc.

Old 09-10-09, 08:58 PM
L
You can try it, but mineral spirits probably won't work. The mfgr. recommended a stain & varnish remover or acetone. You'll need something at least as agressive as laquer thinner, paint remover, or a stain & varnish remover or acetone. (That's my guess.) Try a little in a small area and see what works best.

Old 09-10-09, 09:06 PM
L
capelrossi,

It's not necessary to quote what I (or anybody else) posted. Speaking ONLY for myself, if I need to look and see what I asked or said earlier in the thread, I'll let my finger do the scrolling.

And with part of the deck covered and part of it not, the difference in how the wood behaves and reacts is going to be night and day.

Old 09-11-09, 05:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
capelrossi, when you go to post a reply there is an icon to the left of the quote button you can use for quick reply or to the far left and just a tad lower is the post reply button. Either of these will eliminate the quote from the previous post.

Oh, I like to use the least caustic thinner first. It would seem to me that paint remover would remove all the coating and you just need to remove the excess, right? I would start with mineral spirits and go to a hotter thinner if needed. I suspect elbow grease will be one of the main ingrediants

Old 09-12-09, 11:06 AM
C
I think I get the drift. Start with mineral spirits on a little spot and get progressively more aggressive if that doesn't work. The guy at the manufacturer recommended Jasco stain and varnish remover because he had used it on a client's deck and it worked. He didn't say that was the only thing that would work but he did imply that it would take something like acetone or remover. It looks like there's no way out of this without using some elbow grease!

For clarity, the entire deck is covered. But it's not enclosed, so the areas around the edges are drier and more worn. I wish I'd found this site and come here first before even embarking on the project - live and learn.

Thank you for your generosity in giving me tips about the deck and using this forum.

Old 09-20-09, 01:02 PM
T
Gentlemen, If I can ask for some help I have a very similar problem.Older deck applied to much stain in certain areas. I let it dry ... yeah I thought it would sink in.

- I tried paint thinner and a rag ... then a brush.

- then I got more aggressive and used acetone.

The stain came up but it is tacky in my sample area. Any ideas how to get rid of the sticky areas? Also, any ideas on sanding the pooled areas and retaining those?

Thanks for any help.

Old 09-20-09, 01:32 PM
L
ThatMother,

Welcome to the forums.

It sounds as though you started off on the gentle side (although paint thinner probably isn't going to do much for stain), and then jumped to about the most agressive thing you could find (acetone).

I would go back and try mineral spirits, then go to a stain and varnish remover if need be. It's going to take mostly 'elbow grease' -- that's a given. If the stain &varnish remover doesn't do it (though I suspect that's probably the best bet), then maybe try laquer thinner.

You just missed a lot of the possible steps in the middle.

Old 09-20-09, 01:46 PM
T
THANK YOU!!!!

I admit that I have the acetone to clean the wheels on my car and I used it because it was handy. Thanks again.

Old 09-20-09, 07:02 PM
C
Update! I have finished about half of the problem areas - with mineral spirits, a small deck brush, rags and fine steel wool - and it's working well. It takes a lot of effort because of the way I'm doing it. I use a rag to apply mineral spirits, then brush fairly hard in the direction of the grain. Then more mineral spirits, brush - it starts getting stickier as I go along. And then it's a matter of wiping and brushing a bit more. Then I go over the shinier or tackier spots with fine steel wool, wipe down with more mineral spirits to smooth in, and wipe with a dry rag. Before starting, I went to our local Ace hardware store to buy what I needed, and they agreed with you about starting with mineral spirits. Perhaps varnish remover or acetone would cover a larger area faster, but this way I do a section when I have time and then I can see what I've missed.

I'm also experimenting with going over spots with a bit more of the PreservaWood after removing most of the sticky excess and it seems to help smooth it all out.

Also have finished putting PreservaWood on another quarter of the deck, wiping it off after 10-15 minutes, and it worked well. That leaves one-fourth to go, retouch and we're done.

So, thank you.

Old 10-10-09, 11:49 AM
L
Originally Posted by capelrossi View Post
The deck was here when we arrived, 8+ years ago, and I suspect it was added sometime after the house was built in 1987. It was in very good condition (it's covered), and mostly still okay is except for the areas near the edges that are exposed on the sides. It looks like it had some kind of weather seal on it, like Thompson-type water seal. The areas under a rug near the door and under a large piece of furniture still bead water, and those are mostly the areas that are sticky. It does not appear to have had a stain put on the mahogany decking.

We applied it about a week ago, nearly a week after we finished with the 2 in 1 prep and cleaner.

What you say about treating the different areas differently makes sense. This is certainly what we'll do for the other half which we haven't treated yet. We'll do smaller sections at a time and wait to see how it's absorbing after wiping it.

Thank you for welcoming me to this forum. Bear with me while I learn the rules about quoting, etc.
I'm fine with the quotes, makes it easier to follow who's replying to what.

Wiping the non drying areas with acetone will work much better than mineral spirits. I wouldn't even bother trying spirits.

If the acetone doesn't do the trick, wipe it with a 50/50 mix of Japan Drier and acetone. Japan Drier is purple, but it won't discolor the deck. It's a curing/drying agent for oil based products, and will fix you right up.

Old 10-10-09, 06:01 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums Littlefield!

I've used a good bit of japan drier over the years but always as an oil base paint additive to speed up the drying time [mostly in cold weather] I've never heard of wiping it on a coating that has already been applied. I know if you add too much drier to enamel paint it will affect the sheen. I know sheen isn't a big concern with deck stains but I wonder if the japan drier used that way has any effect on the stain/sealer other than helping it to dry ??

Old 10-14-09, 08:00 PM
L
Mark, I've never had it affect the sheen when wiping it on something that needs help drying. Of course, at that point your kind of up against a wall anyway, right?

Just to be sure, you could mix it with some spirits, a quart to a gallon of spirits, and mop the whole deck down to make sure the sheen is even...

Old 10-14-09, 08:03 PM
L
Great to hear its going well. Mineral spirits will work in a spray bottle, too. It isn't very "hot" at all, (unless you put a rag soaked in it in your back pocket for a while, don't ask), and won't mess up the sprayer. Makes application alot easier....

Old 11-09-09, 01:57 PM
B
Acetone did the trick

I had a similar problem where Preservawood was applied too thickly, not wiped, and allowed to puddle. Using putty knives to scrape off the goop, it took two men 2-3 hours, nearly four gallons of Acetone, and a dozen rags to remove the shiny puddles of excess stain. But it worked!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: