Deck Recommendations

Old 09-16-09, 09:47 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck Recommendations

My deck measures 20' x 15', and I would like to know how much weatherproof seal is required for two coates. In addition, what seals will hold up for a few years, but won't cost an arm and a leg? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-09, 01:48 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Not an easy question to answer

Old dry wood will take more coating than well maintained or new wood. A slick surface won't take as much as a rough one. 200-300 sq ft per gallon will get you in the neighbor hood. You will likely need more coating than just what the deck sq ft figures - think railing, sides of deck, steps, etc.

Clear sealers have the shortest life [some as little as 6 months] A toner or translucent stain will last longer, a semi-transparent stain, longer yet. A solid stain generally has the longest life.

Like most things, you get what you pay for You will find the better coatings at your local paint store. The big box stores mainly stock coatings based on price rather than quality.

Old 09-16-09, 04:37 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
YIP!! Exactly what Marksr said.

My $.02 worth -- my customers don't have to deal with it -- I install composite or Azek decking. They'll pay a LITTLE more up fromt, (Con heart redwood 2X6's are $2.25/ft., Ever Grain is $2.39/ft.), but at $30 or more per gallon for stain that only covers 200 to 300 sq. ft., and you have to do it every 2 or 3 years -- you do the math!!