Azek

Old 09-26-09, 08:57 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Azek

I am going to have an Azek porch installed to an old Victorian house with a wide covered porch surrounded by big trees.

This will be the Azek porch tongue & groove board. The porch sides are solid. In order to have drainage, the contractor will slant the boards (like my current wood porch) and leave a gap at the end between the board and siding - about 1/2 " - and not visible.

My concern is this - the porch will still have many (wet) leaves in Fall and snow in Winter sitting on it for a while. My fear is staining. I know Azek is advertised as being stain resistant, even for leaves, and their website has the "double dare" to show this.

What is reality? Should I expect no stains from leaves or snow? Or will this stain? If wood, you can paint away stain, but Azek you do not paint.

How do I prevent staining, if any - powerwash each Spring? Or? How do I lock into the warranty no big water or leaf staining, if possible?

Old 09-26-09, 09:04 AM
N
I should add, I saw a porch near by that was similar to mine with what looks like Azek, and had what looked like a large water stain across the back half of it. It was decking boards with space between the boards but no slant. This made me worry, and my contractor is going to look at it and tell me if it is Azek or something that just looks like it.

Old 09-26-09, 10:41 AM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Of all of the Azek (or Pro Cell, before Azek took them over) decks that I've put down (about 15 or 20 of them), none have a leaf or water stain on them. One did get some citranella wax spilled on it, and it sat for a couple of years. Simple Green took that right off.

A cleaner will work better than powerwashing. And if you simply sweep or hose the leaves off before they have a chance to sit on the porch for several weeks, staining won't be an issue.

Old 09-26-09, 11:11 AM
N
Thank you ! Is there any particular cleaner?

Old 09-26-09, 11:18 AM
L
Simple Green seems to do the best on just about every kind of dirt or stain that I've come across.

Old 09-26-09, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
2nd that...Simple Green and Krud Kutter are the two I use for everything.

Old 11-30-09, 11:00 AM
N
Well, I did it! Just had the front and back porches completed in Azek. Chose the decking planks in the light soft brown "suede" color. The newer T&G would have cost $1,000 more - and I do not think it is worth it. I actually prefer the decking, even for an old Victorian house, and am very pleased. The porch sides and columns remain wood, and the ceiling a nice bead board. The planks are full board length front to back (not cut in chunks) and have only the slightest gap between planks for drainage. Looks great! Both porches were completed in 6 hours. Planks arrived a bit dirty, but cleaned off with a hose perfectly. The frame underneath was fine when the old porch floors were removed. They added a few boards to ensure a good solid support.

Glad I did it!

Will post some photos when I get a moment.

Old 04-07-10, 03:32 PM
M
After having your Azek/Procell decking for a few years, do you have any problems with it. We have had nothing but problems and so have many others. About to go the attorney route.

Old 04-07-10, 04:06 PM
N
I had Azek decking installed last Fall, front and back porches. It went through end of Fall and Winter and looks great still. No problems. I have covered porches and light traffic. We are both in NJ.

What problems specifically are you and others having?

Old 04-07-10, 06:29 PM
L
moer231,

If you've had the deck for 'a few years', it's probably ProCell. Keep that, and the fact that ProCell isn't around any more, in mind if you decide to talk to an attorney. It may be that you have waited too long to be able to do anything -- I don't know.

Old 04-07-10, 06:46 PM
N
Should add the porches got lots of snow and rain, as well as some leaves. Because covered, got very little direct sun. The decking style probably helped melt the snow faster than otherwise due to small space between boards (versus former t&g)

Also have some porch furniture, and shows no wear at all.

Sill looks like new.

Old 04-07-10, 08:35 PM
L
netmouse,

I've installed both Azek and ProCell, some under cover and some in direct sun. (Don't let that Arlington WA fool you -- this time last year I was in Redding, CA, one of the sunniest cities in the US.)

I have seen a few ProCell decks have issues in direct sun, but only when there was a wall or fence next to it that was reflecting sun and heat. (That's just a personal observation from an installing contractor, and not all of the ProCell decks that I've seen in those conditions had the problem.) I have yet to see or hear about an Azek deck having an issue like that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: