Hanging Plants - Vinyl Siding

Old 09-26-09, 05:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hanging Plants - Vinyl Siding

We are moving to a home with vinyl siding. We would like to hang plants from the eaves, but they have siding on them.

What can we use to hang plants from the siding without damaging the siding?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-09, 05:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Do you want to hang plants from the eaves, or from the soffits? The soffit is the flat part of the roof that returns back to the house and is ideal for hanging plants. The eave is the vertical surface that runs from the peak of the roof to the ceiling of the top floor, and is not ideal for hanging plants. Soffits usually have framing members just under the vinyl, and you may can find it by pushing up slightly on the soffit material. Once located, if low enough, you can drill through the vinyl into the framing and hang a hook there. Just clarify what you want to do.

Old 09-26-09, 06:14 PM
Sorry about that. I want to hang them from the soffits of the porch. They are covered in vinyl.

So drilling into the vinyl will not harm it other than to make a hole in the specific area where I want to place the hook?

Thanks for the help. I didn't know drilling into vinyl was possible.

Old 09-26-09, 07:31 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
As Chandler said, you cannot just drill anywhere because the vinyl will not hold the weight of the plant. You must locate the ceiling joists behind the vinyl. They are usually spaced 18" to 24" apart. You want to drill through the vinyl at those points so your hanging hook will screw into the wood. You can then use chain and "S" hooks to adjust the height of the hanging baskets.

Old 09-26-09, 07:55 PM
Thanks guys. This is what I needed to know. This forum is GREAT!!!

Old 09-26-09, 08:15 PM
Donna,

You HAVE to find out where the rafter tails are -- something solid to put the hooks into. It's vinyl -- you can't see through it. And vinyl soffit pieces are only 12" wide. They are attached at the top (wall) and the bottom (facia board), and probably nothing in between.

Inside the house, run a stud finder across the ceiling. That will tell you where the ceiling joists are.

If you house has trusses, the rafter tails on the porch will be in exactly the same places. If your house was built with "hand stacked" joists and rafterm the rafters will be 1-1/2" off to one side or the other of the ceiling joists. To determine which your house has, open the attic access and look. (I know -- that's EASY for a contractor to say, but probably GREEK to a homeowner!!)

Do you have a relative, friend or neighbor, or somebody in your church who's a contractor?? Make them a pie or a dozen cookies and ask them to come look. (A 12 pack of beer usually works too!!) I know -- contractor's come with a price. But for something this simple, we DO have our weak points!!

Old 09-26-09, 08:22 PM
I am hoping we can find them by pushing lightly on the vinyl like Chandler suggested. If we aren't confident doing it that way, I will preheat the oven.