How to winterize a ramp

Old 10-19-09, 01:23 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to winterize a ramp

My dog is getting old and has arthritis. He can't walk up stairs anymore so this summer I built him a ramp out back. There is a picture of it here: http://rick-silva.com/ramp.jpg

Last night it snowed for the first time. I hadn't thought of that. :-) The ramp has some cheap indoor/outdoor carpet on it that I put down with a staple gun. It was very slippery with snow on it.

Any ideas about how to winterize this ramp? Is there some kind of cheap rubberized material I can put down or something?

Old 10-19-09, 05:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Whatever you put down will get snow packed, so the initial design should be modified to help him. Tack down some 1x1 strips across the grain of the ramp at 4 to 6" intervals, depending on how big rover is and how big his step is. Once you have that done, you will have to keep it defrosted, either by using a heat tape under it or with deicing compound scattered on it.

Old 10-19-09, 06:48 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
RickSil,

Welcome to the forums.

Everything that Larry (Chandler) told you, plus, is there any way you can make the ramp less steep? I deal with several old people -- some that speak a people language, some that speak rufflish, and some that speak meoweze. When they get so old that arthritis enters into the picture, STEEP becomes a major issue for them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: