Patio Cover - How to hang joists

Old 10-26-09, 05:13 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Patio Cover - How to hang joists

I am building a 16' x 10' patio cover (free standing). The 16' span runs along the house while the 10' span runs from the house out. The slope is about 12" over the 10' span. My joists are going to run the 16" span with double 2x10 holding them up.

My question is: do the joists hang parallel to the ground or follow the slope of the 2x10? If they follow the 2x10 I can attach my joist hangers before I put the double 2x10 up.

Thanks

Mitch

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-09, 08:40 PM
L
Mitch,

Run your joists in the 10' direction.

First, 16' is too far to span them.

Second, running them in the direction of the slope will automatically slope them for you

Old 10-27-09, 02:59 AM
H
Thanks for the reply. My reason for asking relates to the roof I'm putting on. I am going to put corrugated tin on the roof and running the joists the 10' span would cause me some difficulties.

I'm using 16' SPF 2x6s for the joists attached to double 2x10s on each end. My original thought was to run the 10' span with a shingled roof but code inforcement told me if I did it that way I would need double 2x12s at the house and double 2x8s at the other end. With the 2x12s hanging down my storm door would clip the board every time.

And, my wife told me she wanted a tin roof. It will be easier to screw down the tin with the boards running across them instead of with their length.

It just seemed to me if I run the joists parallel to the ground it will create a stair step affect and it would be difficult to attach the tin (logic dictates they run with the 2x10 and not parallel to the ground - but I've never build anything before so thought I'd better ask).

Sorry such a windy reply.

Mitch

Old 10-27-09, 05:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 341 Votes on 313 Posts
Originally Posted by hmc1570 View Post
Thanks for the reply. My reason for asking relates to the roof I'm putting on. I am going to put corrugated tin on the roof and running the joists the 10' span would cause me some difficulties.
Do as Lefty said, and either put rows of blocking between the 10' joists on 24 - 36" centers, or lay 2x4x16's perlins flat across the top of the rafters to give you something to screw to.

Old 10-27-09, 09:38 AM
L
You don't want the ribs in the metal roofing running parallel to the house if the slope is away from the house. They need to run in the direction of the slope so water will drain off of the roof.

Read through the thread "Please help -- 13' X 15' ..." farther down in this forum. That thing is 4 pages long and has a lot of info that will answer questions for you. Jmmc also used metal roofing, and there are some pictures in there that show what he did.

also, running the joists in the 10' direction will allow you to use 2X6 joists. 2X6's won't span 16' -- you would have to use 2X12's or larger to span that direction.

Old 10-27-09, 03:51 PM
H
Lefty, thanks for the advice and extra info. I"ll have to re-evaluate my plan.

Mitch